Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Cbm64 Version

Spider

Yes, on the Spectrum too.

On the Spectrum, there is actually a whole array of weird aspects of the game mechanics (even more in JSW than in MM) that have come to be known as "quirky features". These have to do with they way Willy jumps (e.g. jumping into Earth cells which you have experienced; a jump through the so-called Innocent Looking Block is even more spectacular, as it takes Willy to the room below), with ramps (i.e. invalid ramps), ropes, and various other elements. Andrew Broad once wanted to write an "Advanced MM/JSW Trainer" to make the player familiar with these features (unfortunately, the project hasn't been completed so far).

I actually spent ages trying to fix that in my version, until I realised it was possible in the Speccy original 🤣 It made me quite happy to see that I’d managed to replicate the mechanics so well!

The Moonlight Sonata tune that plays over the intro / room tour was ripped from the C64 version of JSW, and I adjusted the instruments slightly to make it sound more atmospheric. I was quite pleased with the way it turned out 👍 (from memory I think that music plays over the new ending I added too, featuring Maria 😉)

On 9/20/2021 at 6:51 PM, Toki said:

I actually spent ages trying to fix that in my version, until I realised it was possible in the Speccy original 🤣 It made me quite happy to see that I’d managed to replicate the mechanics so well!

The Moonlight Sonata tune that plays over the intro / room tour was ripped from the C64 version of JSW, and I adjusted the instruments slightly to make it sound more atmospheric. I was quite pleased with the way it turned out 👍 (from memory I think that music plays over the new ending I added too, featuring Maria 😉)

I will have to see this new ending! 😉

• 1 year later...

An addition to this topic. The 'C64 Longplays' video of the game being played through to completion.

Closely resembles the ZX version, including Final Barrier, although oddly minus the scenery, but that is displayed on the title screen.

The video got slightly corrupted (minor (Miner? 😄 ) issue on the title screen but the size reduction made it worthwhile to put up with this.