Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Cheat modes in JSW128

jetsetdanny

2 hours ago, RuffledBricks said:

Out of curiosity, did anyone ever make a list of the room codes for Writetyper in JSW128?

Hmm. I wanted to say yes, but was not sure where I might of seen it.

Does this help?

http://www.jdawiseman.com/papers/games/jsw2/jsw2_cartography.html#cartography_room_3x

Or maybe this?

https://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/cgi-bin/info.pl?name=Jet Set Willy II

2 minutes ago, MtM said:

Hmm. I wanted to say yes, but was not sure where I might of seen it.

Does this help?

http://www.jdawiseman.com/papers/games/jsw2/jsw2_cartography.html#cartography_room_3x

Or maybe this?

https://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/cgi-bin/info.pl?name=Jet Set Willy II

Afraid not, these links are about JSW2. My query was regarding if anyone had a list of the Writetyper codes for JSW128. Thank you though.

2 hours ago, RuffledBricks said:

Out of curiosity, did anyone ever make a list of the room codes for Writetyper in JSW128?

No, not that I'm aware of. 🙂 I've not looked at the code for it, but I'd suspect it follows a similar pattern to regular JSW, although that uses just four bits this 128 version may use 5 or 6:

Regular JSW48 looks like this, or similar:

35696     LD BC,61438     Read keys 6-7-8-9-0
35699     IN A,(C)
35701     BIT 1,A     Is '9' (the activator key) being pressed?
35703     JP NZ,35735     Jump if not
35706     AND 16     Keep only bit 4 (corresponding to the '6' key), flip it, and move it into bit 5
35708     XOR 16
35710     RLCA
35711     LD D,A     Now bit 5 of D is set if '6' is being pressed
35712     LD A,(34275)     Pick up the WRITETYPER key counter from 34275
35715     CP 10     Has WRITETYPER been keyed in yet?
35717     JP NZ,35735     Jump if not
35720     LD BC,63486     Read keys 1-2-3-4-5
35723     IN A,(C)
35725     CPL     Keep only bits 0-4 and flip them
35726     AND 31
35728     OR D     Copy bit 5 of D into A; now A holds the number of the room to teleport to
35729     LD (33824),A     Store the room number at 33824
35732     JP 35090     Teleport into the room

Just now, Spider said:

No, not that I'm aware of. 🙂 I've not looked at the code for it, but I'd suspect it follows a similar pattern to regular JSW, although that uses just four bits this 128 version may use 5 or 6:

Gotcha, thanks. I've been deliberating whether to try routing a Writetyper run of JSW128, so was wondering whether the list of room codes was already available somewhere. But I can always compile my own.

RuffledBricks, since this is the first time I am addressing you, (a much belated) welcome to the forum! 🙂

Thank you for your excellent contributions. I will refer to them more in detail when time permits, which may be between a week and two-three weeks from now.

The list of the room codes for Writetyper in JSW128 you are asking for has indeed been compiled and is available on The Tipshop:

https://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/cgi-bin/info.pl?name=Jet Set Willy 128K

I hope that helps 🙂.

28 minutes ago, jetsetdanny said:

RuffledBricks, since this is the first time I am addressing you, (a much belated) welcome to the forum! 🙂

Thank you for your excellent contributions. I will refer to them more in detail when time permits, which may be between a week and two-three weeks from now.

The list of the room codes for Writetyper in JSW128 you are asking for has indeed been compiled and is available on The Tipshop:

https://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/cgi-bin/info.pl?name=Jet Set Willy 128K

I hope that helps 🙂.

Awesome, thanks!

21 hours ago, jetsetdanny said:

I have no idea why but the thought of checking the TS completely slipped my mind 😞 That's unusual as I'm a reasonable contributor to it (when I can) and usually check it quite a bit too. Oh well. 😄

• 1 month later...

I have finally managed to crack how to turn on "the other" cheat mode (i.e. other than the Writetyper cheat) in JSW128 and JSW64 games, at least partly 😁.

I would like to thank Ian for his persistent encouragement to have another go at this secret, and for his tips expressed earlier in this thread. However, I should note that I did not make use of them - I couldn't arrive at the solution on the basis of the code. In my "final assault" I cracked the mystery by a mixture of the facts I had figured out before - that the cheat mode indicator is at #C400, the value which turns it on is #09 and that the first letter of the password is "s", which changes the value of #C400 from #00 to #01 - and brute force: I typed in letter after letter to see which one will change #C400 from #01 to #02, then from #02 to #03 and so on. In fact, when I had six characters of the word I am going to reveal below, I guessed the remaining three, so the brute force was complemented by an educated guess 🤪.

So here it is:

The cheat mode can be activated by typing "superuser" when you are at the floor in room 046 (which in "Jet Set Willy 128K" and "Jet Set Willy 64K" is called "Root"; in other games using this game engine it will have a different name). After a brief border effect, the cheat-mode tune kicks in instead of the regular one and a hash symbol appears to the right of the last remaining life (if both the Writetyper cheat and the other cheat mode are activated, the Writetyper foot is next to the last remaining life, and the other cheat mode symbol is to its right).

At this moment the player has acquired the ability to carry out what John Elliott calls "fast inter-room teleportation": they can move to the room to the left by pressing "z", to the room to the right by pressing "v", to the room above by pressing "c" and to the room below by pressing "x".

This tip should also work, in principle, in all of the other games using, respectively, the so-called JSW128 game engine (of which "Jet Set Willy 128K" was the first one) and the so-called JSW64 game engine (of which "Jet Set Willy 64" was the first one). So far, altogether, there are 18 gamma-released games using the JSW128 game engine (here's a complete list) and 24 games using the JSW64 game engine (here's a complete list).

When I say the cheat mode should work "in principle", I am referring to the fact that whether or not it can be activated without using POKEs depends on the design of each game. If there is no room 046 at all (because it hasn't been edited), or the bottom of this room is not accessible for the player to type "superuser" while over there, the cheat cannot be activated in a normal way. I did not try to check all of these games to see if the cheat can be activated in them without POKing them or not.

Should it not be possible to activate the cheat by typing "superuser" at the floor in room 046, it can be activated by applying POKE 50176,9. It should be noted, however, that if it is done while playing the game, the cheat will be activated (along with the hash symbol), but the in-game music will remain the regular tune. To be able to hear the cheat-mode in-game tune, one would have to either apply POKE 50176,9 on the title screen, before starting the game, or, if it is applied while playing the game, the player would have to lose all their lives (or reset the game by pressing Shift and Space together) and restart it; then the cheat-mode in-game tune will kick in.

Both Writetyper and the other cheat mode stay on after the game is over. They are not reset at the start of the next game. Therefore, if someone POKEs in 50176,9 before starting the game and starts with the cheat-mode in-game tune on, the only way to turn it off (i.e. hear the regular in-game tune) would be to POKE 50176,0 (to turn the cheat mode off) and reset the game or restart it after losing all lives, or reload the game.

Once the cheat mode is turned on, I don't think it's possible to turn it off by any built-in mechanism, without POKing the game. It's the same as with the Writetyper cheat - once you have activated the cheat, if you want to deactivate it, you either need to reload the game (to start playing again without the cheat activated) or to POKE the game to turn the cheat off.

A thing that should also be noted is that, for some reason, the cheat-mode in-game tune is *much* louder than the regular "Jet Set Willy 128K" in-game tune. I'm not sure why it is like this, but the difference in the level of loudness is very pronounced, at least to my ear. The difference is not as big in "Jet Set Willy 64K" (which has a different regular in-game tune than "Jet Set Willy 128K").

So now I hope that Ian will reveal how to toggle on/off the other two features: invincibility and antigravity 😉. Please, go ahead, Ian, and let us know; it's long overdue 🙂.