Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

HIghest score on Central Cavern

geoff

13 hours ago, jetsetdanny said:

It seems like you are now 16 points away from the highest possible score 🙂. 1724 is the maximum anyone has ever been able to achieve (in the ZX Spectrum version, at least) and it's hard to imagine how this could be improved...

No need to imagine - Crem has seemingly proven that 1724 is the highest possible score for the Central Cavern, via his automated generation of MM walkthroughs as reported in this thread:

http://jswmm.co.uk/topic/580-automated-generation-of-manic-miner-speedrunwalkthrough/

Yes, but it is still only "seemingly proven". Crem's recent posts show that his automatically generated walkthroughs do not always reach the highest scores (because some human scores are known to be better). With this, we can't be 100% sure that the fact that Crem has established 1724 points as the highest possible score in the Central Cavern means that it cannot be improved...

Other platforms, posting for the curious. I don't have other emulators to hand at the moment to do other variants (Oric / MSX etc) the choice of emulators were not always my best preference either but I had to pick ones that would record video.

Amstrad CPC6128 :
Emulator : CPCE 1.85
Score : 1096

Commodore C64 :
Emulator : VICE 2.1
Score : 1814

BBC Micro B+128 :
Emulator: Beeb-Em 4.15
Score : 1976

Can be improved. Note sound out of sync a bit due to using FFMPEG to make videos a sane format and size. C64 version bad collision detect, entering a file cell at all any part of the 8x8 grid with MW results in a collision, even if MW is a few pixels away! Interestingly with that version its very easy to jump from the conveyor to the middle platform as demonstrated in the video. The poor collision detect or emulator made me take a few attempts to complete the cavern.

Enjoy ? (Vids in spoiler) All three are small 2-3mb each.

Edited by Spider
Description added