Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Manic Miner in 48k with 40 rooms

Norman Sword

IF and only if there was some kind of choice in the matter THEN

Spoiler

I'd go for V6C2 , for two reasons:

> Its the highest number version, which to my mind indicates the last (I realise that may or not be accurate)

> It retains the crumbly conveyors , thereby preserving the original 'plan' as such but also gaining the extra platform (as per V6C1) to make the cavern possible.

ELSE

See what I did there with accidental IF/ THEN / ELSE

Someone forgot the ELSE operand in ZX Basic 😞

😉

Unfortunately, I believe V6C2 is still not completable.

This is because "The Cloning Facility" cannot be completed as far as I can tell.

This is because in order to collect the item I circled below:

Cloning problem - source.jpg

at some point Willy HAS TO be in-between the yellow and magenta guardians:

Cloning problem - guardians.jpg

Once there, he cannot escape, because it is impossible to get out from in-between these guardians.

Consequently, all the items can be collected in this room, but the room cannot be completed, because you cannot reach the portal.

With this in view, a "vicious" way of making this room completable would be by adding a switch that would do something after the last item has been collected, such as remove the Water cell circled below:

Cloning problem - solution.jpg

so that Willy can then outmanoeuvre the magenta guardian and get to the portal.

Alternatively, this Water cell could be removed from the start if implementing a switch were not feasible (for lack of memory space or whatever reason).

If a switch was possible to apply, an even better solution would be to make it remove (once it's triggered) the Fire cell which sits on the conveyor. Thus Willy would be able to escape from in-between the yellow and magenta guardians, but he would have to make another detour around the lower part of the room. However, I wouldn't recommend removing this Fire cell altogether (i.e. without a switch), as that would make the room easier to complete and less interesting.

Furthermore, in LiganTM's original game this room is completable, because the problematic item is not there. So this item:

Cloning problem - source 2.jpg

can be collected as the last one, omitting the magenta guardian while being on its right-hand side. So in LiganTM's original room you never get in-between the yellow and magenta guardians, from where you couldn't escape, either.

So an alternative solution for "Manic 40 Miner", without using a switch, would be to remove the problematic item or move it someplace else where it would be collectable.

Norman Sword, I hope you will release another revision of the game and I am looking forward to it 🙂 .

Cavern 26 The Cloning Facility

scope of editing.

I am not changing the code, just the data. I am not aware of any memory available to edit the code. 

This means that an action caused by Eugene or Kong/Switch has to mimic/duplicate the action of the original code, and not have their actions/scope extended. 

Eugene just activates on last key/object collected - no deletes of wall etc

Kong activates on switchs, which means the switch can be flipped at any time in any key/object collection order.  This will erase a wall on switch activation. Whilst I allow the position of the wall to be specified. It will still modify a sprite. (To ignore the modification, I can place a blank sprite over the modified sprites slot.)

Deleting the bush on the conveyor on switch activation (in the edits I did) changes the way it is played. 

So the easiest option is to move the offending key/object. Since I went through the code for the switch and how it activates, I did add the switch which does not change the collection order for all the other keys/objects--- Problem might be the time needed to collect all the keys/objects  in the cavern.

NOTE I HAVE NOT COMPLETED THIS CAVERN. (not attempted)

Yet another version V6c3. --- (deleted only final version available)

At a later date - the miner change versions prior to the final V6cX will be deleted

Addendum :- if this needs to be more difficult and plenty of time left. Then I can/could place a nasty on the top platform to force another lap ---.

(only the final version V6c6 is now available and is listed on the first post)

item moved.png

Edited by Norman Sword

Norman Sword,

Thank you for V6c3 👍. It's cool that you have applied a switch!

I have just tried to complete Room 26 and I believe it is still impossible to complete.

I confirm that all of the "old" items can be collected and the switch can be flipped.

However, once that is done, Willy cannot get back to the part of the room which I circled in red below:

Cloning prob.jpg

(there's no way to jump there) and hence he cannot collect the last item.

Extending this platform by one block where marked in red:

Cloning sol.jpg

would solve the problem, I believe.

Time is not an issue (when playing with Rollback) as you can see from the screenshots above.

I am looking forward to V6c4 🙂 .

Very similar to the last download. (v6c3) I have moved the start platform right and Willies start position along with it. This has added the forced lap after collecting the last object. By making the jump from the start position onto the platform above impossible. But having the jump back onto the start platform now possible (from the tall right wall)  - means the original route can also be changed.

This version has been deleted - final version V6c6 is listed on the first post

v6c4.png

Edited by Norman Sword
Mysterious typo's..

OK, I confirm that Room 26 is passable now 🙂.

However, I believe room 28 ("United Kongdom Customs") isn't, because the conveyor there is a left conveyor (contrary to the original LiganTM's room, where the conveyor is a right conveyor), which makes it impossible to cross from the left to the right part of the room.

I have also tried playing the other remaining rooms (moving between those I couldn't complete using the 3-2 cheat) , with the following results where I encountered problems:

Room 29 "Germanopharmacy" - it is impassable as well AFAICT. This is again because the conveyor is a left conveyor (instead of right) and there is no way Willy can negotiate it to proceed rightwards when he drops on it vertically from above.

Room 31 "Finding the Perfect Insurance" - I don't think it's possible to collect the item in the lower right-hand corner. Whether you jump for it from the side or whether you walk and drop upon it, you get killed by the Fire cell below it. There seems to be a crumbling floor there, but it disappears as soon as the item has been collected, or so it seems at least. There seems to be no way to avoid getting killed by the Fire cell below the item.

Room 32 "The Pronce's Palace" - I have been able to complete the room without throwing any switches.

I have also been able to bring down Kong, but if you do that, I don't think you can complete the game. It's because I don't see any way of escaping from this platform after tripping the switch located above it:

Kong problem.jpg

So if this room is to be "Kongable", I think this should be corrected somehow.

The rightmost switch does not seem to have any effect or even to move when touched. Just an observation.

Room 34 "Mandatory Space-onaut Training" - I don't see how you can collect the uppermost item without losing a life. Jumping for it from either direction leads to falling down so far that you get killed.

Room 36 "I forgot the name of this Cavern" - I  don't see how you can collect the item in the upper right-hand corner without losing a life. You cannot jump onto the crumbling platform that's below it. So you can only jump for it rightwards from below, but that leads to losing a life.

Room 37 "Iron Filings Recycler" - the conveyor problem again. The conveyor goes leftwards, while in LiganTM's room it goes rightwards. Consequently, I believe it's impossible to access the platforms that would enable the player to collect the item above the letter "l" in "Recycler" and get to the portal.

These are all the problems that I have discovered. I was able to complete the rooms I didn't mention without any issues.

Looking forward to v6c5 🙂 .

Changing data 
===========

Changing conveyor directions - in some cases this also involved changing the graphic and the colours.

The data for item/objects/keys was not copied from the original. (as is evident)

Changes for V6c5

• 28 -- United... changed conveyor direction also added an item/object/key upper right.
  • 29 -- germo... changed conveyor direction 
  • 31 -- Finding... moved item/object/key one block left
  • 32 -- The Pronc... The switches, and their action. The switches are scanned on building a room.  If the room if filled with switches, only the first two are active starting at the top left and moving right and down.  For the purpose of completing this cavern and removing the confusion, the  extra switch has been deleted. The problems with positions of item/object/keys. I have moved item/object/keys to mimic the original in this room. (all of)
  • 36 -- I forgot.. item/object/key moved one left
  • 37 -- Iron ...changed conveyor direction 

The others caverns/rooms are left alone----

----------------

Item/Object/Keys where originally placed without the position data for the rooms. Conveyor data was not copied.
 so item/object/keys and conveyor direction are hit and miss.

My primary concern was writing an editor - Which does allow 100% of the above to be corrected via the editor.

But I suppose it is better to have a version that is playable, rather than have a version that needs editing before playing.

The irony is that the editor does allow me to easily duplicate  the data that was not copied from the original. Which might have been easier than editing the data that was present. 

v6c5 has been deleted

v6c6 the final version is listed on the very first post

Edited by Norman Sword