Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

[File] Manic Miner - DarkLight Modification

Spider

14 hours ago, IRF said:

There is something which I meant to say yesterday in relation to the 'MM: creme de la creme' entry on JSWCentral - but I forgot - and which also applies here [EDIT: and indeed in relation to the original Manic Miner, and possibly other games using the MM engine]:

I don't see the purpose of giving separate Highest Documented Score for:

- Reaching the Swordfish;

- Re-entry to the Central Cavern [or equivalent] after completing all the caverns once.

The former just seems to truncate consideration of the final cavern before the additional points have been added to account for how quickly the player completed that final cavern.  To what purpose?

The reason for this are Andrew Broad's "Manic Miner 4" and "Manic Miner: The Buddha of Suburbia". Both of these games have scores upon reaching the swordfish sign, but neither of them has a score upon first re-entry into the first cavern, because there is no re-entry into the first cavern. In each of them, the air counter keeps resetting itself after the player has completed the final cavern, causing a constant increase in the score and making it impossible to re-enter the first cavern.

The double scores are given mainly to be able to compare the results obtained in "Manic Miner 4" and "Manic Miner: The Buddha of Suburbia" to those obtained in the other games.

So, blame it on Andrew! 🤪

Ah yes, the final caverns in those games have a quantity of air assigned to them which is not divisible by 4, so when the air supply is decremented by 4 by the game engine, it never reaches zero.

Which means there is effectively no time limit in the final cavern, and furthermore the maximum possible score attainable after completing 20 caverns is infinity points!!

Edited by IRF

Anyone interested in my RZX recordings of Manic Miner - Light Modification can downloaded them from here

The scores I achieved in both versions of the game are not as good as the maximum possible scores that have been established recently on this forum, but I think they're not too bad given the circumstances... 🤪