Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

JSWED / Seasonal Gaming Creation [Split from Download Discussion]

MtM

I have downloaded v.1.5 Norman. Thanks for all your hard work and keeping the faith.

Now, is there a Christmas version of MM or JSW I have missed somewhere?

MOD EDIT: The posts within this topic were split out of the original 'Download Discussion Topic' for Manic Panic, with hopefully a suitable title.

Edited by Spider
Added description indicating topic

1 hour ago, MtM said:

I have downloaded v.1.5 Norman. Thanks for all your hard work and keeping the faith.

Now, is there a Christmas version of MM or JSW I have missed somewhere?

I am not aware of the existence of any explicitly Christmas version of MM or JSW, which is strange, actually, given the number of versions and variants in existence.

I'll mention for the record that I have a certain idea for a Christmas JSW game. NOT a version of the original JSW, but a new game using one of the JSW game engines. If I ever find the time, energy and propitious circumstances to launch this project, it will be called "Willy's Christmas Caper" and it will feature a giant Christmas tree forming the vertical axis in the centre of the game map, splitting it in two. Willy will start out at the entrance to the house in the lower left corner of the game map (there will be no house as such, only the entrance, the giant Christmas tree will be outside). He will be able to go to the right side of the tree at the ground level, but when going up, he will only be able to explore the branches either on the left or on the right side; the trunk of the tree will not let him through at any point, creating a lot of "Promised Lands" on its other side.

The tree graphics will be repetitive to streamline the designing process.

The toilet run (or whatever-it-will-be run, as it won't involve a toilet in all probability) will take place at the bottom of the tree.

So that's "Willy's Christmas Caper" at the back of my mind 🙂.

'Willy's Christmas Caper' sounds like a great idea, Danny!  Like the upper rooms of the Banyan Tree (i.e. A Bit of Tree and the lower half of Under the Roof), but stretching upwards for many more levels/rooms before you can cross from one side to the other.  I presume it would be Christmas presents that you have to collect from amongst the branches?  (Whilst dodging deadly baubles?)

P.S. Perhaps you should create a new topic for other Xmassy suggestions?

Edited by IRF

12 hours ago, jetsetdanny said:

I am not aware of the existence of any explicitly Christmas version of MM or JSW, which is strange, actually, given the number of versions and variants in existence.

I'll mention for the record that I have a certain idea for a Christmas JSW game. NOT a version of the original JSW, but a new game using one of the JSW game engines. If I ever find the time, energy and propitious circumstances to launch this project, it will be called "Willy's Christmas Caper" and it will feature a giant Christmas tree forming the vertical axis in the centre of the game map, splitting it in two. Willy will start out at the entrance to the house in the lower left corner of the game map (there will be no house as such, only the entrance, the giant Christmas tree will be outside). He will be able to go to the right side of the tree at the ground level, but when going up, he will only be able to explore the branches either on the left or on the right side; the trunk of the tree will not let him through at any point, creating a lot of "Promised Lands" on its other side.

The tree graphics will be repetitive to streamline the designing process.

The toilet run (or whatever-it-will-be run, as it won't involve a toilet in all probability) will take place at the bottom of the tree.

So that's "Willy's Christmas Caper" at the back of my mind 🙂.

10 hours ago, IRF said:

'Willy's Christmas Caper' sounds like a great idea, Danny!  Like the upper rooms of the Banyan Tree (i.e. A Bit of Tree and the lower half of Under the Roof), but stretching upwards for many more levels/rooms before you can cross from one side to the other.  I presume it would be Christmas presents that you have to collect from amongst the branches?  (Whilst dodging deadly baubles?)

P.S. Perhaps you should create a new topic for other Xmassy suggestions?

Right! This must happen. Let us set up a Kickstarter to fund it, with a Next version, and have it ready

for next year's Christmas!

Well, we can dream. It does sound like a splendid idea for a JSW though. I am slightly relieved that I haven't

missed a Christmas themed MM or JSW somewhere. Maybe a Christmas themed MM would be both easier

and quicker do? Perhaps this is a weekend challenge for all those much more talented than me - to make a

rough and ready Christmas MM in time for this Christmas? Even if just a few sprites and cells changed?

I will pay money for it! A little anyway.

On 12/11/2020 at 6:53 AM, MtM said:

Right! This must happen. Let us set up a Kickstarter to fund it, with a Next version, and have it ready

for next year's Christmas!

Well, we can dream. It does sound like a splendid idea for a JSW though. I am slightly relieved that I haven't

missed a Christmas themed MM or JSW somewhere. Maybe a Christmas themed MM would be both easier

and quicker do? Perhaps this is a weekend challenge for all those much more talented than me - to make a

rough and ready Christmas MM in time for this Christmas? Even if just a few sprites and cells changed?

I will pay money for it! A little anyway.

Your enthusiasm is very welcome here, MtM. I hope it will be contagious 😁

I don't know about a Next version, but I've got to point out that there is a wonderful tool which anyone can use to create new MM and JSW versions or entirely new games. It is John Elliott's JSWED which allows anyone interested to edit games using several different game engines, such as the original MM and JSW game engines and also newer, expanded ones created by John (JSW128, JSW64). JSWED is easy to use, it comes with a good manual and it doesn't require any knowledge of the Z80 machine code or any programming knowledge at at. It's got a GUI, you just redesign whatever elements of the game you want using your mouse. And, on top of everything, it's completely free, there's no need for a fundraiser whatsoever 🙂.

So you could easily change "a few sprites and cells" yourself if you have some spare time.

WARNING: You can become addicted, and then you'll be spending all your spare time designing JSW games! Which would be good, actually... 😅

On 12/12/2020 at 11:24 PM, jetsetdanny said:

Your enthusiasm is very welcome here, MtM. I hope it will be contagious 😁

I don't know about a Next version, but I've got to point out that there is a wonderful tool which anyone can use to create new MM and JSW versions or entirely new games. It is John Elliott's JSWED which allows anyone interested to edit games using several different game engines, such as the original MM and JSW game engines and also newer, expanded ones created by John (JSW128, JSW64). JSWED is easy to use, it comes with a good manual and it doesn't require any knowledge of the Z80 machine code or any programming knowledge at at. It's got a GUI, you just redesign whatever elements of the game you want using your mouse. And, on top of everything, it's completely free, there's no need for a fundraiser whatsoever 🙂.

So you could easily change "a few sprites and cells" yourself if you have some spare time.

WARNING: You can become addicted, and then you'll be spending all your spare time designing JSW games! Which would be good, actually... 😅

You know, it has been a dream to sit and do this, make my own JSW game, I would love to do it, ever since I played the magical original

it changed and inspired my life, as odd as that may sound but probably not among the people on here. (I have deliberately never completed JSW the original, as once it is finished that is like the end, the magic is over - I am happy with the mystery.) Like many folk though, it's

the time to do it, work, family etc. very difficult to think I will commit a _lot_ of time to doing something like that, even though I

would personally get a big kick out of uploading it here, even if just a few of the real faithful on this site played it that would

be good enough. Maybe one day, maybe ... but I take your comments and reply seriously, and it is noted, so thank you.

Edited by MtM

You sound like a really good candidate to become addicted to JSW editing 😁.

If you have never used JSWED, I would encourage you to give it a try, one day when you have just a little more spare time than usually. Nothing really big, without thinking that you need to design a whole new game, just to see how it works, design one room perhaps...

That's where the second part of the magic starts - in being able to design new rooms, to create something that looks like JSW but is brand new, coming out of your own inspiration. That's what I did back in early 2004: I installed John Elliott's JSWED version 2.0.3 (the current one at that time, now we're up to 2.3.7), just to see how it worked, and I played around with it for a bit, designing a room which later became "Jump 'n' Jive". And then I started working on another room, and then another, until I realized I wasn't getting enough sleep and I was definitely neglecting my family... And then I released the original edition of "Willy's New Mansion" in November 2004, and I haven't left Willy's 8-bit universe ever since 🙂.

7 hours ago, jetsetdanny said:

You sound like a really good candidate to become addicted to JSW editing 😁.

If you have never used JSWED, I would encourage you to give it a try, one day when you have just a little more spare time than usually. Nothing really big, without thinking that you need to design a whole new game, just to see how it works, design one room perhaps...

That's where the second part of the magic starts - in being able to design new rooms, to create something that looks like JSW but is brand new, coming out of your own inspiration. That's what I did back in early 2004: I installed John Elliott's JSWED version 2.0.3 (the current one at that time, now we're up to 2.3.7), just to see how it worked, and I played around with it for a bit, designing a room which later became "Jump 'n' Jive". And then I started working on another room, and then another, until I realized I wasn't getting enough sleep and I was definitely neglecting my family... And then I released the original edition of "Willy's New Mansion" in November 2004, and I haven't left Willy's 8-bit universe ever since 🙂.

Well, your words must have had some effect, and the link provided made it very easy, so I _did_ download and install it last night and had a very quick look. I must say it looks splendid on my 4k desktop 😉 I have gone for the most stable version, 2.2.9 - is the version you mention considerably different?

However, I will see what I can do when I can. Perhaps tonight...

I'm using 2.3.7 currently. I don't find it unstable on x64 Windows either, but your mile's may vary. Should be noted I'm not using W10 however. I did use 2.2.9 before and never really had any noted issues with that, but there are a few new features (see below in spoiler) with 23x vs 22x, although if you do not use them then it may be academic. I'd say if you're currently happy with the version you have and you've not had any issues with it then stick with it for now. 🙂

Changelog from John Elliott's JSWED page:

• 2.3.7: Hopefully made the file chooser more robust against crashes on Windows.
  • 2.3.6: Fixed at least three bugs in the import of SoundTracker tunes.
  • 2.3.5: Added the ability to replace Ian Collier's music player with SoundTracker.
  • 2.3.4: File chooser: Added 'Home directory' and 'Root directory' shortcut buttons. Also allowed scrolling of the list with the mouse wheel.
  • 2.3.4: The Manic Miner sprite editor can import and export sprites.
  • 2.3.4: The Manic Miner portal editor updates the positions of portals when these are moved.
  • 2.3.4: Various buffer overflows corrected.
  • 2.3.3: Portal editor does not crash in rooms numbered above 100.
  • 2.3.3: Portal attributes can be set with a mouse.
  • 2.3.3: Guardian editor does not mangle skylabs.
  • 2.3.2: The Windows version now installs using the Nullsoft installer, not Installshield.
  • 2.3.2: Fonts can now be exported and imported.
  • 2.3.2: Various bugfixes in the guardian editor.
  • 2.3.2: Trap cells can now be placed.
  • 2.3.2: Animation speed can be controlled in the room editor.
  • 2.3.2: Room navigation is now common to all room editor pages.
  • 2.3.1: Problems with loading JSW2 snapshots have been corrected.
  • 2.3.1: The border colour previews correctly in JSW2 games.
  • 2.3.0: Supports editing Jet Set Willy II.
  • 2.3.0: Supports editing Manic Miner 128.
  • 2.3.0: Rooms can be exported and imported.
  • 2.2.9: Supports 'trap' cells in JSW64 games.
  • 2.2.9: Games will be automatically patched to allow Maria and the toilet to be in the same room.
  • 2.2.9: Memory corruption fixes.
  • 2.2.8: Fixed a bug which was stopping items from being shown in JSW64 games.
  • 2.2.8: Fixed another bug involving sprites local to rooms.
  • 2.2.8: Guardians and items are now drawn transparently rather than with a black block following them around.
  • 2.2.7: Added 128k tune import/export.
  • 2.2.7: Added an Autosave feature.
  • 2.2.7: Bugfixes and enhancements to room navigation.
  • 2.2.6: Various usability bugfixes.
  • 2.2.5: Corrected a bug with stationary ropes in JSW64 games.
  • 2.2.5: Added a hex editor.
  • 2.2.4: A simple screenshot utility has been added.
  • 2.2.3: Can now position rope guardians in JSW64 games.
  • 2.2.2: Corrected a bug in the JSW128-to-JSW64 conversion.
  • 2.2.2: Added the ability to import and export sprites.
  • 2.2.1: Added the ability to convert JSW128 games to JSW64.
  • 2.2.1: Added the ability to import and export title screens.
  • 2.2.0: Documentation updated and program declared stable.
  • 2.1.8: Bugfixes: Bugs corrected in positioning arrow guardians and in saving/loading +3DOS format files.
  • 2.1.7: Fixes bugs in the game patches applied by 2.1.6, so that triggers, ropes, arrows and opening walls now work correctly.
  • 2.1.6: Adds support for more guardian types in JSW64 games, including switches, skylabs, Eugenes, triggers, and vanishing walls.
  • 2.1.6: JSW64 games can now have one of two graphical screens graphics in the top or bottom half of a room (cf Manic Miner, "The Final Barrier").
  • 2.1.5: Reintroduces escalators (conveyor ramps) to JSW64 games.
  • 2.1.5: JSW64 games can have 'bonus' rooms (where collecting an item gives an extra life).
  • 2.1.4: Further bugfixes and enhancements.
  • 2.1.3: Brown-paper-bag bugfix.
  • 2.1.2: Added JSW64 support; and more bug fixes.
  • 2.1.2: Internal restructuring.
  • 2.1.1: Bug fixes.
  • 2.1.0: Added Manic Miner support.
  • 2.1.0: Added support for Ian Collier's "avoid infinite death" hack.
  • 2.1.0: Added support for the patches listed on this site.
  • 2.1.0: JSW128 engine updated to hacklevel 9.
  • 2.0.3: Bug fix: Can change the fixed text on the title screen of JSW128 games.
  • 2.0.2: Bug fix: The Windows version now deletes temporary files created by use of the F5 key to playtest.
  • 2.0.1: Minor changes in the source to make it compile on BeOS.
  • 2.0.1: Able to fix the Henry's Hoard victory sequence, so that the 1985 version becomes usable.
  • 2.0.1: Henry's Hoard objects now show in the correct colour (the room border colour).