Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy 2+ speedruns at UKSG Winter Marathon (Jan 31st 2021)

RuffledBricks

Here's a plug that might be of interest: a couple of Miner Willy games are being featured at UK Speedrunner Gathering's Winter Marathon 2021 on Twitch next weekend.

Firstly, I am going to be doing a Manic Miner race against retro game speedrunner TinyTim78. I'm going to be playing the ZX Spectrum version, and he's going to be playing the PC version at Normal speed. So I'm going to have to try and be pretty good to keep up with him!

Secondly, another regular Miner Willy speedrunner DigitalDuck is going to be doing a 100% run of Jet Set Willy 2+. It's a very impressive run, so I heartily recommend everyone check it out.

Outside of Miner Willy, there's also going to be speedruns of Yazzie (myself) and Wonderful Dizzy (TinyTim78), so it'll be a rare instance of the ZX Spectrum being decently represented in a speedrunning marathon. And with pretty new Spectrum games at that.

Full schedule is viewable here but here's the section relevant to this forum:

image.png.4ef8bb174f9759772886146131f6423f.png

And here's the link to the UKSG Twitch channel:
https://www.twitch.tv/uksg_marathon

Hope this post is allowed. Do let me know if not.
Edited by RuffledBricks

• 2 weeks later...

One more Miner Willy-related marathon thing I'd like to plug if I may. 

This Sunday at 10:45am, I'm doing European Speedrunner Assembly's Winter Marathon 2021 in aid of the Swedish Alzheimer's Foundation. I'm only officially booked to speedrun Yazzie, BUT...

They're going to be running an incentive so that if enough people donate to the cause I'll be doing my sub-3 minute Jet Set Willy WRITETYPER speedrun with commentary straight after. So I may end up having to do my silly feat of ridiculously precise keyboard mashing live, rather than in the comfort of my own streams in which I can just do numerous takes until I get it right.

Twitch channel is here if anyone's interested:
https://www.twitch.tv/esamarathon

So here's the ESA VOD for anyone who didn't manage to catch it live:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/912384624

The JSW Writetyper run met the donation incentive, so it went ahead (timestamp: 22:44:40). As you'll see, nerves got the better of me a little bit - there were 5,000+ people watching so go figure! - and it took four attempts to complete the run on this occasion, but I managed it in the end. It's at least worth watching for the chat comments, which are 90% "what the hell's going on" and 10% "he looks like Mark Ruffalo".