Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Multi Mono JSW

Spider

A small twist on the existing 'mono' option. If applied manually its as follows, the 'hexpat' executable file does not function on x864 machines :

ORG 35339
LD A , 71
JR 35354

We can have a little fun with this by picking up the border value instead:

ORG 35339
LD A , (32990)
JR 35354

Potential here perhaps to use an existing unused byte value per room to individually set a room colour independently of border colour, however the above works OK.

I did toy with a small release of this as the existing release of JSW Mono does not have any bug fixes applied at all.

If your screen flash code is missing ( ! ) then the whole lot at 35354 should read (it then continues onwards anyway into valid code)

ORG 35354
LD HL , 23552
LD DE , 23553
LD BC , 511
LD (HL) , A
LDIR

^ That should not be necessary in most instances of JSW1, its possible some third party games may have modified or used it however.

Manual POKE's for the above "multi mono" code:

POKE 35339 , 058

POKE 35340 , 222

POKE 35341 , 128

POKE 35342 , 024

POKE 35343 , 010

Pic:

multi_mono_3.png

Edited by Spider
Replaced screenshot

On 3/3/2021 at 3:01 PM, Spider said:

I did toy with a small release of this as the existing release of JSW Mono does not have any bug fixes applied at all.

Doesn't it?

I think it's debatable. As far as I'm aware (could be wrong), JSW Mono's official release is a patch only. The patch makes the game display in black and white. So whether the resulting game will be buggy or not depends on what file you apply the Mono patch to. If you apply it to a non-fixed original JSW, it will be buggy. If you apply it to a fixed original JSW, it will be fine.

There are some JSW Mono files hosted on World of Spectrum and these are impossible to complete because they suffer from the same four bugs which make the original JSW incompletable. However, it would be hard to prove that they are "official" release files, as at present John only provides patches on his website.

On JSW Central I provide complete, ready-to-play files of JSW Mono in TAP and TZX formats, including variants with the Wobble and Jiggle patches applied - six bug-fixed files in total 🙂.

🙂 Sorry I should of been a bit clearer.

The 'release' was the .tap and identical (code wise) .tzx file of this version. Do understand now there's no 'official' mono release as such, not sure who built those tape and snapshot files then. I'd slightly incorrectly assumed.

Although not essential I have started to include the 'make the Swimming Pool object collectable' as a real bug fix too, but setting its value to 4 not 5 (5 is the most common) as that way it matches Orangery aka plant/vines rather than cyan. I can see why cyan was chosen to sort of fit in with the pool water perhaps.

This is my standard (one of them!) JSW loader:

jsw_sample_loader_1.png

Should be noted this is not how I would write this -for myself- (or likely for releases) , its done in the manner above to make it really "easy to digest" for anyone who is not that familiar with Basic. The REM's merely space the 'pokes' out to make them easier to read. I'd probably personally want to apply a couple more to give the 'moved object' a shape or remove it altogether and give thought to forcing the Beach object down to one not two. Trouble is once you start modifying you can't stop! 😄 , its highly debatable if The Chapel and Cuckoo's Nest are really bug fixes or not, they ought ot be but then as above you then start to think about stuff like 'Over The Drive' and 'Seen This Before' where there's bright guardians against non bright paper etc.

I guess the 'sane' way is to use the above and remove lines 250 + 260 and possibly 240, leaving the four official fixes and a keypad bypass (that's not actually the way I'd change it either) 🙂

A random sidenote is this started as the standard original loader, and the embedded colour codes were replaced by Basic keywords, keeping the order in which they were originally applied too. Not that it matters I guess. 🙂

Edited by Spider
Changed screenshot (and in first post too) and added tape file.

Attached is the above tape file listing, this is the loader only as listed (no game code)

JetSet (loader only).tap

As I mentioned, I'd not typically 'write' it like that for myself or for releases. But its done in a very easy to read/alter format. No trickery in it!

I've also taken the opportunity to replace the screenshots in the first post with a slightly better combi one while I was at it.

Thanks for the info and the loader, Andy! 🙂

For me, personally, the official Software Projects POKEs and the colour code bypass are the only things I would apply as fixes to game variants such as "JSW Mono". These are the things necessary to launch the game and to complete it. Nothing else is necessary, so I don't take it into consideration. I know, it's just a matter of opinion and personal choice, and it's different with variants like your 2015 Bug Fixed Edition, where the whole idea was to correct various issues considered to be bugs, not only the critical ones.

Fair comment. 🙂

The official 'Move the First Landing object' is one that slightly stands out to me as a 'very quick fix' , given that unless you define (or copy) a shape*** its still invisible and potentially missed if you're jumping. The other pokes are perfectly fine however. I think I'm quite a few years too late to complain though! I'll not start a debate on that here though as that would lead onto other stuff (there's a topic somewhere iirc) about how other variants 'fixed' Conservatory Roof for instance.

*** A few years back I did submit a tip to Tipshop about this using a minimal number of pokes to provide it a sane shape.