Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Automated generation of Manic Miner speedrun/walkthrough

crem

15 minutes ago, Norman Sword said:

The change in sprite data between Software projects and Bug Byte does throw up a problem in  Amoebatrons' Revenge. Unless another route is listed, then the present data get killed fairly early on. ( e.g. the return journey along the lowest level platforms. killed by the first sprite when doing its shuffle back and forth, to do the jump)

I looked at my data that was extracted for the version of manic miner that plays both versions. Either the data is wrong or the data changes by one pixel between the bug byte and the software project game. (Skylab landing bay)

This change came to light when I was checking what data actually changes between the versions. If I could find a picture of the skylab screen from the software projects game, then I can confirm change.

Just at the moment I have more pressing things to do elsewhere.

It is possible that two versions require different route for the Amoebatrons' Revenge.

The route for the SP version is here:

On 3/26/2021 at 8:05 PM, crem said:

Level 18, Software Projects version, no difference, score=1314 😞

I expected that there would be a difference, probably 1 frame, and not necessary an improvement.

Q Q Q QM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q R R R R QM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . M . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . M . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . QM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . M . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . QM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q QM . . . . . . . . . . . . R RM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Q Q Q Q R R R R RM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . RM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . R R R R R R R R R R R R R R Q R R R RM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . R R RM . . . . . . . . . . . . Q QM . . . . . . . . . . . . Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q . R R R Q QM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q QM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Q QM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . R . Q . . . Q . Q Q QM . . . . . . . . . . . . R RM . . . . . . . . . . . . R R RM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . RM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Q R R R R . R . Q R R RM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . R R RM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . R R R R R RM . . . . . .

2 hours ago, Norman Sword said:

I also looked at my data that was extracted for the version of Manic Miner that plays both versions. Either the data is wrong or the data changes by one pixel between the bug byte and the software project game. (Skylab landing bay)

This change came to light when I was checking what data actually changes between the two versions. If I could find a picture of the skylab screen from the software projects game, then I can confirm change.

I don't believe there is any difference between the BB and SP versions of 'Skylab Landing Bay'?  The only rooms with a difference, as far as I am aware, are The Warehouse, Amoebatron's Revenge, and Processing Plant (where the only difference is the bitmaps for one type of Fire cell and for the item shape - neither of which are based on pixel collisions so there definitely won't need to be a different route/movement key datastream for that cavern).

EDIT: I just compared the raw cavern data for the two versions, with original game files for MM-BB and MM-SP both opened up via JSWED's hex editor.  They are identical (all 1024 bytes).

Edited by IRF

New data for Amoebatron's Revenge let's Willy progress through that cavern in the SP version so thanks crem.

The data in the Skylab is one byte different (or more exactly, has one bit difference) I am inclined to believe the data is wrong, but until I see the Skylab in detail on a full SP version, I can not be certain.

Your edit of the above was whilst I wrote this. So I will assume the bit in question is corrupted data.

I also compared the Skylab bitmaps in the 'Sprites' menu of JSWED - all eight frames of animation - in case there was a difference in the distribution of the pixels of debris (which wouldn't show up in most screenshots of the game, where the Skylabs tend to be shown descending and therefore are all in their first animation frames).  But they were identical between BB and SP.

Ian,

Thank you so much for your suggestions of changes to the text on JSW Central. I  implemented them fully, but I do think you should receive some credit there for your contribution to the discussion and solutions applied. Initially, I gave you credit for the enhancement of the overall score (this being a very specific and "measurable" contribution), but I was half-hoping that you would suggest some wording that would describe your contribution more fully.

Would you suggest some wording to that effect? I will be happy to insert it on JSW Central if you do 🙂 .

Thanks, but I don't think I did enhance the overall score - the algorithm did all the work.  I then studied what it had done, to better understand how I (and other players) might potentially secure a score which matches what the algorithm managed to achieve!

There is a link to this thread in the JSWCentral entry for 'creme de la creme', and anyone following it will be able to see my contribution to the discussion - that's good enough for me! 🙂

Edited by IRF

On 4/14/2021 at 4:13 AM, jetsetdanny said:

The page features a full screenshot gallery, but if Norman Sword follows Ian's suggestion expressed above, I will be happy to update the screenshots accordingly.

I took up the challenge. Apart from the full size main screen pictures, I have changed every single screen.

The auto play in only one cavern is different.  (Amoebatrons' Revenge.)
LASTv2.tap

V2 menu.png

First.png

BUY IT.PNG

Edited by Norman Sword
Added the .Tap extension on file

The new screenshots look great, Norman!

However, I can't seem to be able to open up the file, either in SPIN or in Torinak...

EDIT: I just renamed the file, adding '.tap' at the end of the filename, and now it works! 🙂

Edited by IRF

On 4/14/2021 at 4:13 AM, jetsetdanny said:

I have now created an individual page on JSW Central devoted to "Manic Miner: creme de la creme".

Norman Sword, crem, Ian and everyone else who has been involved or is following this topic: please let me know if you have any suggestions for modifications of that page's contents. I have tried to describe this variant as best I could and give due credit to everyone involved, but I am sure there is room for improvement in the info published there 🙂 .

The page features a full screenshot gallery, but if Norman Sword follows Ian's suggestion expressed above, I will be happy to update the screenshots accordingly.

I don't know if this would improve it Danny, and I am not trying to create work, but maybe a table in the form

of something like this

Best human score - Best cpu score

Central Cavern  20000     -  21000

Cold Store         20000     -  21000

You get the idea. No worries if you think it no use etc, it isn't really, just interested personally to see how far behind human players are in terms of best scores etc. I guess there is something to be learned by speedrunners from that maybe, or just people wanting to improve their playing.