Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Automated generation of Manic Miner speedrun/walkthrough

crem

Ian, before your intellectually-unforgiving mind points out a flaw in my reasoning, I have to admit 2,727 posts out of the 13,173 on the forum are of my authorship, so effectively there are 10,446 posts that I may have 'liked'. So if I 'liked' every third of them, it's "only" some 3,500 😀.

Having said that, I'm sure I don't remember all of my own posts either 😄 LOL.

51 minutes ago, jetsetdanny said:

For the record, there may be some posts that I've 'liked' that I don't even understand.

Hopefully you will be able to glean enough information out of my recent posts here, for you to be able at some point to match the maximum score of 1951 in the BB version of The Warehouse...

The game's page on JSW Central has been updated. The screenshot gallery is now completely up to date 🙂 .

I also added one paragraph in the description, which reads, 

The solar beam in "Solar Power Generator" (19) has been modified so that it turns red when it is touching Willy and sapping additional air.

I hope this is correct - please correct me if not.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Just discovered this thread, and the world of speedrunning! I must say that I'm blown away. You guys have done some seriously impressive times. The concept of using AI (thanks to Crem!) to improve on the human times also intrigues me. I have two questions...

1) I noticed on Impossamole's C64 run, that a score of 1940 was achieved on the Central Cavern, rather than the 1724 Speccy record. This appears to exploit a conveyor bug in the C64 version, which allows him to travel in the opposite direction. This may have been discussed before, but I was curious why this is possible, and are there other versions that allow this?

2) I was super impressed by the WRITETYPER run's from RuffledBricks and DigitalDuck. I wondered if any progress had been made on using AI to find the quickest teleport routes for this? It seems like a task well suited for AI, since there are so many possible combinations for the human brain to calculate. That said, I also understand this would be a complex beast to write, and possibly require a supercomputer to process 😁

• 2 weeks later...

I'm the current speccy speedrun holder at 13m24s. I used several strats pulled from crem's AI runs to improve my routes - most notably the Eugene's Lair route. I also used some of RuffledBricks' techniques for a few of the levels I was having trouble with. It's a far from perfect run though - I made a big error on Amoebatrons 2, and missed the first jump in the 16th Cavern by a frame which led to a longer time. I'm pretty sure it will be beaten as soon as someone puts the time in to do the runs. I'm much happier with my Kong Beast run which hit all the strats I was aiming for.

I've never played the C64 version. I found it an interesting watch as the mechanics and timings appear to be different. The jump arc look a little different too. I can only presume that the C64 version was coded from scratch and the 'Is Willy On a Conveyor' check is done AFTER the movement check.

I've just checked the MSX version and it follows the Speccy conveyor logic - if you make that jump on Central Cavern the player just 'sticks' on the conveyor. However, some of the strats from the speccy don't work in the MSX version down to differences in the collision. For example, you can't run straight along the bottom on Amoebatrons 1. You *have* to wait for the 2nd nasty to go past.

I'd love to see an AI WRITETYPER run. I can imagine it would be hilariously fast.

Edited by CPL