Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

List or advice about the best modifications or remakes of Jet Set Willy

obsy

Hello,

I've just completed (started in 1984 with a real CPC!) Jet Set Willy 1 for CPC with Caprice Forever, and I'd like to know if you can recommend me or let me know about a list, or poll or something like a "top 10" , about remakes with added things, or modifications / enhancements of JSW (Apart from the obvious JSW2) for any emulated machine (CPC, Spectrum, Atari, etc.)

Thanks in advance !

Welcome @obsy🙂

Well done with JSW1 on the Amstrad CPC, I've played that version myself a few times. It was (iirc) only available as a compilation release in tape form at least, there is a disc variant as a stand-alone. I have a patched tape version too with some onboard cheats if required.

It does play differently to JSW1 Spectrum in that the left/right vs jump seem to be detected the other way around, in that in ZX JSW1 you can jump and not fall but with JSW1 (CPC) and JSW2 (both ZX and CPC) its different, same with MM for the Amstrad too, but that's not relevant here.

One slight issue I had with the CPC version is there is not a "standard" recording method as such, with the ZX we have .rzx files, but upon some research there was not an equivalent for the CPC which is a shame.

I'm not immediately aware of any 'modified' CPC versions except a version of MM that only has iiirc a couple of modified caverns.

In answer to your question, although given its summertime here it means the forum is a bit quieter than it would be, and there are a huge number of 'modified' versions. In "blowing our own trumpet" I think you should perhaps take a look at our own JSWMM releases category in the downloads, you can find that in the header or just click here instead. 😄

I'm hoping if you're patient others will respond to this topic soon however as mentioned it is relatively quiet lately due to summer and light nights etc.

The JSW Central site ( run by the co-admin here @jetsetdanny) has substantial background information on nearly everything reference wise with JSW and MM. For convenience here is a link to the "List of MM and JSW games for the Spectrum" , some are based on the 48K 'engine' and some on the JSWED64 or 128 'engine' instead. There are few JSW2 'edited' games due to it being a bit tricky to edit, well sort of.

Moving topic from MM to JSW forum area

2 hours ago, Spider said:

In answer to your question,... 

Wow, very thanks for all that great information, it's a lot to start with...

I'll play JSW2 for now, maybe I'll also buy my JSW T-Shirt and spend the rest of my holidays doing some other things, just to remain mentally healthy ;-D

Best regards,

Obsy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link to the list of games on JSW Central, Andy! 🙂

(A belated) Welcome to the forum, Obsy! 🙂 As you can see, there are lots of new games made using the various JSW game engines, there are also many games which you could classify as remakes of the original JSW.

I could highlight some games for you if you want (e.g. referring to size, or the amount of technical changes in relation to the original, the level of difficulty, etc.), but I would not be comfortable with saying which ones are "the best", because:

a) I would be tempted to point to the ones I authored myself or co-authored 😀 ;

b) Since JSW Central aims to embrace all pertinent games, I prefer to remain impartial and to cherish and admire them all 🙂 .