Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Manic Miner for Cerberus2080 (6502, new code)

Tuna

9 hours ago, Tuna said:

Which version of Firefox are you using (and which OS)? It works fine on mine (91.0.2 (64-bit) on Windows 10)

W7Ult (On the ESU) x64

8 hours ago, Norman Sword said:

Assembles and runs on

Brave / Firefox / chrome / edge /opera.  

Thanks Norman. Not quite sure why it did not work for me. My first thought was SWF but I do not think that would be the case these days, a year or two ago maybe.

3 hours ago, Heracleum said:

• looks like the conveyor belt animation is 2 times slower than the original (or 0.5 game clock) which isn't really a glitch at all, looks nice; 

I did not notice that 😄 I was too busy playing. Well spotted though.

2 hours ago, Tuna said:

I tried to reproduce the behaviour for jumps and turns accurately in my code (though I note the original uses a table which somehow seems overkill for the actual logic), as the original was such a good template. There are frustrations like the turn/jump behaviour, but the levels tend to be designed around those oddities, so it doesn't hurt.

For collision, I actually test for Willy hitting a guardian rather than the other way around. If nothing else, it's much faster as the guardians are just character cells, whereas Willy has to be pixel shifted into place, so I can test for collisions simultaneously with drawing him. It does make the logic around the penguin behind the exit in Level 2 a bit of a pain though.

For jump comparisons, try the Spectrum version of JSW1 vs JSW2. Or the Spectrum version of MM and the Amstrad version of MM. You'll note that the Ams version of MM behaves 'jump movement' wise the same as Spectrum JSW2.

Does make sense to test for MW actually colliding with something he should not rather than worrying about a Guardian. Some variants of JSW for instance the CBM+4 and CBM C16 iirc have guardians passing though a bit of a water cell.

Since I've started from scratch on this one, I'm trying to make it a general MM engine (which may end supporting some JSW features). 

The screen is character based, which places a limit on the number of unique sprites you can have on screen, but the level format is open ended and doesn't impose any limits. All of the 'effects' (switches and so on) are planned to be data driven, so whilst you should be able to write traditional MM levels, it wouldn't be impossible to do something more JSW-like.

I've not done Beams (yet)... it's a particular challenge with a limited number of character definitions left to handle the parts where the Beam overlaps a guardian, but I've got an idea in my head how it could work.

I'm also thinking of making Exits a bit smarter. At the moment (MM style) you can only have one exit per level, unlocked after a certain number of items, but I was thinking about having two distinct item types - room items and game items, and then exits that open according to thresholds of each (including permanently open). Then, exits could either have a graphic or not, and could specify the room (and entrance point) to follow.

That would allow you to have both MM style "collect X items in this room, go to the exit and it takes you to the next room" and JSW style - "Walk to this gap in the wall and you go to this room" logic, as well as other combinations "Collect enough game items and this teleport will take you to another room".

But I'm getting ahead of myself here... still haven't coded vertical guardians yet!!