Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Manic-4-Noobs / MANIC-minor

jetsetdanny

Hi Guys,

There are better versions of MM out there both graphically and technically but M-m certainly was the best I could do at the time with my "skills". The goal was to tweak an easier version of the origional not really create something new. I maybe should have looked at what was already out there but didn't do this to prevent being influenced.

Basically all the changes were added by pokes with a debugger. Changes to larger graphics would have taken too long for me. A mad way of doing things I know and if I were to do it again I would spend time creating a few routines to make this so, so, so much easier.

Air depletion rather than death is a very good idea. But I prefer the idea of makeing M-m so much easier but still retaining the instant-collision-death aspect. Yes it's unfair, yes it's cruel, yes it's frustrating especially for young players but hopefully not enough that they stop playing 🙂 The greater the risk the greater the reward.

Can see a window late 2022, early 2023, were I could start a more unique version. Still set in the same "universe"* only this time I'll be stealling ideas all over the shop.

* Gives me an idea: Willy in a spacesuit avoiding all the aliens from classic Sci-Fi movies sounds like plan for 2024 😄

Would add that the layouts aren't just random tweaks but serve a purpose. With cavern 14 the main difficulty for new players is knowing where is safe to stand and wait. Not only are the safe platforms different from the danger ones but different in a speciffic way. The safe one look intact and the danger ones look damaged.

Also, the laser is cavern 19 is a real pain, time wise. It this version it's power is reduced to 25 or 50% (ICRW) plus when the final key is collected the laser vanishes making the run to the transporter easier.

Think most of the layouts also offer an alternative route to completion. So player is not always forced to confront a particularly hard bit.

Not sure how obvious the above will be to others, but they are there and they were planned, in fact the position over every single block was planned and tested.

M-n-14.png