Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Multiplayer Manic Miner game design

SteveSmith

Thanks for all the comments, glad you liked it!  A few people have mentioned the "dropping platforms" problem, so having nothing else to do today, I've just released a new version 1.2 which has fixed this.  I've also slowed Willy down, unscientifically setting the speed to approximately almost the same as the original.

Thanks. 🙂

I don't mind the game speed, it was the platform and conveyor actions 😄

If it means anything I tend to play JSW and MM emulated at about 110% to 150% , as they are playable at that, if competing I use the lower end of it.

Spectaculator only offers CPU MHZ not ideal but Spin gives option to alter the speed without changing the it in such brutal steps directly, also games relying in 'frames' timing will usually work properly at higher speeds too!

Will check update version later 🙂

Watched some of the youtube vids of it being played, yes looks like fun, somehow not quite how I imagined it but certainly a _lot_ of potential there I think for sure. I could make a load of things I would like but that would just be me 😉

I do hope that you continue with it all, and thanks for making a Mac version too, I spend the majority of my time on the mac at the moment.

On 12/18/2021 at 2:21 PM, SteveSmith said:

Thanks for trying it.  I'm afraid I don't have Windows so I can't check it.  However, I've just created a quick version 1.1 that's available to download, which starts off windowed and you can press F12 to toggle full-screen.  Hopefully that might work?

Regarding Knight Lore, I started recreating that in 3D.  I got the whole basic map down, I just need to create all the graphics for everything that's in the game.  I did the first few rooms which you can see here:-

As Andy said, this looks really interesting, and certainly like it would add something, a lot really, in terms of playability. I hope this comes to fruition too! Knight Lore et al were perhaps very early takes on 3d platform games really, even though they are thought of as arcade adventures. I always thought that the very first Tomb Raider game was how JSW 3d would of looked.

Thanks for new version, Steve! It has a nice feel to it 🙂 . I also like the effect of the items (keys) going up after they've been collected 👍.

I downloaded the Windows 10 version and I was able to play it without any problems. I won!... but I was the only player 😮

I tried one little experiment. After colleting all of the upper-level keys and dropping down onto the upper-middle-level platform (to the right of the robot guardian), I tried jumping to the right, so as to land on the right-hand side of the conveyor, to the right of the green Fire cell. In the original game, this manoeuvre is possible, but useless, because you cannot walk along the conveyor to the right (because you drop onto it from a higher level).

In your version, after landing on the conveyor and continuing to hold the 'Right' key, I was able to move to the right along the conveyor, step by step, as it were, ever so slowly. At the end of the conveyor I dropped down and regained the ability to move normally. So I was able to do something that cannot be done in the original - traverse the right side of this particular conveyor rightwards.

This is just an observation, absolutely not criticism.

Thanks again and I hope there will be more versions, will there? 🙂 

4 hours ago, jetsetdanny said:

In your version, after landing on the conveyor and continuing to hold the 'Right' key, I was able to move to the right along the conveyor, step by step, as it were, ever so slowly. At the end of the conveyor I dropped down and regained the ability to move normally. So I was able to do something that cannot be done in the original - traverse the right side of this particular conveyor rightwards.

This is just an observation, absolutely not criticism.

Thanks again and I hope there will be more versions, will there? 🙂 

It wasn't until I replayed MM again recently (after years) that I remembered that once you're on the conveyor belt, you have to go left and the only thing you can do is jump.  I decided to change this (like the fact you can move while jumping) as I think it makes it more playable, and the objective of this game is to be the first, rather than it be a difficult test of skill like the original was! 🙂

Glad you liked it though, and I'm working on the Cold Room now.