Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

JSW - Willy's Weirdy Nightmare

Spider

I am not aware of such a site. I would suspect you may find some sites where the official releases for various platforms will be listed, but not necessarily mods and unofficial versions.

It's an interesting idea, though! I would say such site *should* exist, "should" indicating obligation or duty rather than probability 😉 .

• 9 months later...
On 3/13/2022 at 2:38 PM, SymbolShift said:

Yes, it was AMOS on the Amiga (which was a reworked STOS from the Atari ST). Shame the language fizzled out really, it was pretty amazing.

Believe it or not, I was trying to make a JSW clone in Amos when I was a teenager. The fact that I got as far as I did was a miracle. I had a screen editor program that wrote to a seperate data file, a bitmap of game tiles and like a 10x10 room matrix. The big problem I had was reading the room data. It would take like 8 seconds to draw out each room line-by-line. I also wrote a thruster/racing clone where you had to race around bitmaps I made in Deluxe Paint without touching the walls, with things like lasers and water (which was basically antigravity with damping). I really miss that game and AMOS in general.

6 hours ago, Sendy The Endless said:

Believe it or not, I was trying to make a JSW clone in Amos when I was a teenager. The fact that I got as far as I did was a miracle. I had a screen editor program that wrote to a seperate data file, a bitmap of game tiles and like a 10x10 room matrix. The big problem I had was reading the room data. It would take like 8 seconds to draw out each room line-by-line. I also wrote a thruster/racing clone where you had to race around bitmaps I made in Deluxe Paint without touching the walls, with things like lasers and water (which was basically antigravity with damping). I really miss that game and AMOS in general.

Nice one! That racing game you mention sounds like one I started, but never finished. It was called "Micro F1". Basically a rip-off from Micro Machines in the early 90's, with a Formula one twist 😁 The thing that I loved about AMOS was it was not too intimidating as a beginner. Most languages nowadays are way to intimidating to get beginners started. I learned VB5 for the same reason.

Just now, SymbolShift said:

Nice one! That racing game you mention sounds like one I started, but never finished. It was called "Micro F1". Basically a rip-off from Micro Machines in the early 90's, with a Formula one twist 😁 The thing that I loved about AMOS was it was not too intimidating as a beginner. Most languages nowadays are way to intimidating to get beginners started. I learned VB5 for the same reason.

I've tried to get into Game Maker, but the whole object-oriented programming system, parent objects and wotnot, just does my head in! I tend to want to just make simple game engines where the gameplay emerges from level design, and AMOS on the Amiga was perfect for that.

25 minutes ago, Sendy The Endless said:

I've tried to get into Game Maker, but the whole object-oriented programming system, parent objects and wotnot, just does my head in! I tend to want to just make simple game engines where the gameplay emerges from level design, and AMOS on the Amiga was perfect for that.

I could not agree more! OOP has always done my head in. I totally understand it's advantages in certain areas, but there's something about my logic that makes more sense with Procedural programming. I loved VB5/VB6 when it was procedural, but they transitioned to OOP with VB.net and everything went to pot. Blitz Basic was another procedural language that I was a fan of.

In the last few years I've been forced into using GameMaker, just out of lack of other options really. I've mostly got used to it, but I still find it limiting in certain areas that even AMOS and Blitz excelled at. I used Stencyl several years back, and managed to remake one of my old Amiga games, but found it frustrating to do certain things since it's drag-drop rather than code.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2022 at 3:45 PM, Spider said:

From MobyGames. Some of the text below is from MobyGames as well as my own notes:

Machine: CBM Amiga

Requirements: It is listed for A1200 so quite likely needs the "AGA" chipset (instead of the 'OCS') to function. It might work on the 'ECS' set. Untested.

Lemonamiga.com mentions it works on OCS and ECS. I haven´t played this, so I don´t know.

• 1 year later...