Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

JSW2 BBC Version comparisons

Spider

A tour of the mansion, in two videos! I did not visit it all although hopefully enough is shown. It should be noted to speed things up a little bit I did use an immunity cheat.

The specifics of this are discussed elsewhere on this site as it is a source of confusion.

There is no updated 2021 version of this, unlike JSW1 and ManicMiner however there are in effect two JSW2 versions (excluding any modified ones) of these:

1. A 'tape' version which was by many copied over to disc for convience

2. A 'disc' version

The differences are large. Note: Only the 'tape' version is shown here in two individual 'tours'

The tape version (which is also on disc but was never officially released as a disc) has a very cut down mansion, very few rooms are present from the original but there are a few new ones and some changes such as no 'Tree Root' , although most if not all of the Space Station and Planet areas are there, the exception here being 'secret passage' , this version is designed to run as one as the BBC graphics mode eat a fair chunk of memory leaving perhaps 20K or less for the game itself. Sprites are also limited in that less are defined likely due to memory constraints.

The disc version is fully featured and closely mirrors the ZX version, it uses the disc to load in portions of the map as you play and/or will attempt to load it into 'sideways' memory if this exists. This feature does not work too well on emulation however on a real machine a few years back I'm sure it did. The layout is slightly different however most if not all of the ZX map is there, mansion too. As above, this is not shown here, only the 'cutdown' tape version.

There is a lot of confusion about these versions, but that is essentially the difference.

Should be noted I did not play too hard. I did run emulation at about x1.5 speed however the video may not play back at that. Please note that the sound out of sync is down to the emulator, the raw .avi also suffers with this sadly.

Part One