Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Please suggest a JSW editor.

Jet Set Willie

On 1/15/2023 at 12:28 PM, Jet Set Willie said:

I thought I had taken care of that already when I was designing those ramps and checked that everything worked in one room before making another ramp in neighbour room, but as I checked it now, I had forgotten to check it. In "final version" those ramps in three rooms were joined correctly, no problems with that, I just had forgot to check that colour attribute thing, I just thought I had done it. 😄 But when I checked the room on emulators before changing the ramp to other colour than the water, I found out that the earth cells were disappeared from that room! Earth was already having different colour than ramp and water, also Earth had different colour than Willy, if that means anything. No, earth and air had different colour, if you thought that. 🙂 When I changed the earth cell colour, it became visible on emulators. 🤔

I am not sure if this problem has been solved already. If it has, skip the rest of this message. If it hasn't, the only thing that comes to my mind than different cells having the same attributes is that you happen to be experiencing the so-called Cell-Graphics Bug. It's described here, in the section "Corrupted conveyors" (also "Corrupted nasties"). SkoolKid (the author of this excellent disassembly) gives some POKEs there to fix the problem. I am not sure (without checking, which I won't spend time on doing) whether the fix is for the problem in this particular room or a generic one. There *is* a generic fix for this problem - a fix to the way the game engine works - which eliminates *any* occurence of the bug.

The generic fix is described here and I *think* (I'm not 100% sure it's about the same problem, but I can't think of any other) it is also given in this thread as a POK file.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for asking, Spider. 🙂 The flu got me, I am quite recovered now, but not quite. I have other things to do now, but I will come back to my "project" eventually. There are many rooms already and many of them will need proper playtesting to prevent unnecessary deaths as there are places where it´s possible to wander off the screen. I will have to block those possibilities off somehow without deleting graphical detail too much and some of those rooms will need neighbouring rooms, though I am not sure if there will be enough rooms for that. 🤔

Also, few rooms will really need Hex´ing, as Willy should be placed to the certain position when he enters the room (the same starting position for all those few neighbouring rooms). It is possible to make those rooms work without Hex´ing, but it would look strange and the player would clearly notice it´s done clumsily. Is such Hex´ing possible without too much work?

Edited by Jet Set Willie

My problem is that when I see a 'mnemonic listing', it´s just a 'mnemonic listing' to me. I don´t understand it. That´s why I hoped it could be possible without too much work (for others). Those few rooms will be designed the way they are "one-way-rooms", you can (must) enter each of them from the right and the only exit is always on the left. Because of the forced starting position of Willy and guardians movement tracks, it´s not possible to go back to the previous room on the right. In every other room, you can freely enter the neighbouring rooms the normal way.

• 3 months later...