Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Creating slippery "Ice" platforms

Sendy The Endless

Okay, possibly two more types (slow and fast versions respectively):

POKE 32982, 130
POKE 32982, 66

My prediction(?):

'Perpetual motion' platforms (you can change direction at will whilst moving along them, but you can't stop and stand still on the spot).

These ones might even have worked using Norman's original code (before I intervened).

Edit: These two additional platform types would take the total number of conveyor variants up to 16 14 (FURTHER EDIT: MY LATEST EXPERIMENT DIDN'T WORK, I JUST TRIED OUT THE ABOVE TWO POKES IN TURN - THEY CREATED ANOTHER 'SLOW OFF' & 'FAST OFF' CONVEYOR, IDENTICAL IN BEHAVIOUR TO THE PREVIOUS SLOW & FAST OFF CONVEYORS), which is the maximum number of possible variants using 4 bits of the conveyor byte. Changing the other 4 bits will only create identical behaviour to those 16 14 types of platform. (Caveat: that might not be true if Willy runs over a conveyor during the toilet run, when the ability of the right 'P' key - and that right key alone - to stop the toilet run introduces an additional variable.)

FINAL EDIT: The reason why the above didn't work as I had anticipated is this: Norman's code will have briefly set the movement flag, but in the absence of any bits corresponding to left-right movement being reset by a conveyor of this type (and assuming the player isn't pressing a movement key), then the movement flag will be reset shortly afterwards after the left-right movement table (#8421-#8430) is consulted.

Edited by IRF

Incidentally, in the absence of changes to the 'Animate the conveyor' routine, all the types of conveyor discussed in this thread - except for standard left conveyors that have a direction byte value of zero - will have rightwards animation in their top pixel-layer (assuming the pixel pattern allows for visible animation).

One more thought for now, regarding the new conveyor types that Norman came up with which always enforce sideways movement ("no lockout on falling" in Norman's terminology; "no drop & stop" in mine):

If placed in a setting with earth blocks above a narrow channel that is just high enough to fit Willy (such as in the room Tree Root, or the Final Barrier in MM), these conveyors would prevent the player from using the trick of pressing the jump key to bump Willy's head on the ceiling (which on a regular conveyor can slow down or halt Willy's movement down the conveyor, making the timing of avoiding certain guardians much easier).

When combined with Norman's 'fast slide' conveyor setting, this could make such scenarios much more challenging! 

Edited by IRF