Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

conveyor Slide platforms

Norman Sword

Just placing this at the start of a heading - so it is not swamped (or ignored). This replaces the code I deleted.

I am nearing  70 and I leave for a quite life. Whilst I will still write code, it will be just for my own amusement. 

All Needed data are contained within the file.

slide_platform.tap

On 2/10/2023 at 11:56 PM, Norman Sword said:

Just placing this at the start of a heading - so it is not swamped (or ignored). This replaces the code I deleted.

I am nearing  70 and I leave for a quite life. Whilst I will still write code, it will be just for my own amusement. 

All Needed data are contained within the file.

slide_platform.tap 31.04 kB · 4 downloads

Thanks for this new file Norman, including the disassembly of the new code on the 'title screen'.  Some observations:

I like the way that you can dynamically switch* between the different conveyor logics using the s/d keys, as well as the detailed descriptor of the current mode (and associated values) in the status bar. 🙂

(*This feature reminds me of some of the rooms in 'Jet Set Mini', in which pressing the X, O and R keys together simultaneously causes the conveyor direction to toggle between left & right, or switches the sticky behaviour of a two-way conveyor on and off again, both of which are achieved by applying an XOR 01 gate to the conveyor direction byte.)

I can see from the animating (but apparently unreachable) conveyor at the top left that, as I predicted 😎, all the different conveyor types animate in the same, 'clockwise' direction (except for type 11, the standard left conveyor, which animates 'anticlockwise').

Conveyor types 0 and 2 seem to be identical in behaviour to each other, as is the case for conveyor types 1 and 3. (N.B. Behind the scenes, types 0 and 1 might instantaneously be setting the movement flag, unlike types 2/3, but this doesn't have any effect on Willy's movement.)

The choice of values to activate all the various conveyor types in this latest file is a pleasingly consistent set. 😃  This is not immediately apparent by looking at the values as stated - even after converting the decimal to binary - but once you subtract 3 from each value, and express in binary, you can see that in all cases bits 2-5 are set, and then every possible permutation of bits 0-1 and 6-7 are provided.