Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Strangel 2

Sendy The Endless

21 hours ago, Sendy The Endless said:

I've also altered the byte in the FFxx region of memory which tells the skylabs to move 8 to the right after each crash. I've fixed that to zero so I can have droplets at the expense of sacrificing skylabs. Seems like a fair trade to me, although I know there's a way to get both types in one game by hacking the guardian definitions, I'm just not on that level of hacking yet : )

In the 4th post of the thread at the link below, I provided a patch for the JSW64 game engine, which should allow you to have both Skylabs and Droplets in your game:

The first post in that thread describes what the problem is - basically, John Elliott's Droplet patch permanently overwrites the Skylab routine, so as soon as you encounter a Droplet whilst playing the game, all Skylabs elsewhere in the game are turned into Droplets. ie the periodic horizontal displacement of all Skylabs is switched off.

It's been a while so I can't recall off the top of my head whether my aforementioned fix is a proper robust one, or whether it's just a Room Setup patch that undoes the damage caused by the Droplet patch that's implemented when you enter the Skylab room. Either way, it could be adapted for Strangel 2.

Edited by IRF

On 4/11/2023 at 9:02 AM, Spider said:
On 4/10/2023 at 4:18 PM, Sendy The Endless said:

There's a bug in JSWED where batch exporting rooms from variant X to variant V causes every other room to go missing, so I had to export each room manually. I also noticed that all my items were missing in-game, despite appearing in JSWED, but thankfully that was sorted out by simply deleting and re-instancing the items.

I have had odd quirks before with absent rooms, I think in my case (it was quite a while ago) I chose to export perhaps a dozen or two rooms, and some of them appeared. It might be worth letting John Elliot know about this in case he one day plans any updates. AFAIK the last update was 2015 (or 2012, not sure) , he does have an account here but I'm not sure if you decided to contact him if a PM here or an email via his site would be best.

You can sorta fix this by putting a newline before every <room> tag in the xml file JSWED generates. That makes JSWED read all the rooms, however guardians, conveyors and other stuff can still be messed up or missing altogether.

Sendy, thank you so much for all the info about "Strangel 2"! The screenshots you have posted look great 👍. Also your descriptions of the development of the game file, including the possibilities offered by the various variants of the JSW64 game engine, and the problems with JSWED, are very interesting and instructive.

It's great that you are creating this game and I look forward very much indeed to info about the new rooms you create and then one day to actually playing (perhaps even playtesting) the whole game! 🙂 

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to go out to a venue a couple of weeks ago and caught a really nasty headcold lol. Mostly it has passed by now.

But yes, Strangel II is more or less finished! I have an item table problem which needs fixing and a list of 10 room issues I've written down during my test playthrough. So it's coming soon : )

Edited by Sendy The Endless
DOGS!!!!!!