Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

[File] JSW KCE (Key Code Edition)

Spider

JSW KCE (Key Code Edition)

Following a discussion here about the JSW engine pausing after a life loss or other suitable delay to allow the player to re-adjust themselves, I decided just for fun to re-instate the key code protection request upon a life loss.

It will accept any code as I'm not cruel enough to demand the player enter the correct code.

The game was also much cut down to only a few rooms, 7 in total are present but only 6 of them are needed to complete the game and the other one is inaccessible without cheating.

The .zip contains:

The game file in regular .tap format, the game code is compressed slightly.

A map file, not that it would really be needed!

An .rzx playback although @jetsetdannyhas a much more efficient one, this was not included in the files as it was not part of the .zip released in the topic.

A brief readme detailing the changes to the game itself.

• 1 month later...

Would creating a fixed pause of a second or two be possible using a null loop? (I think that's what it's called, in Basic it would be an empty for...next loop)

I actually quite like the Softricks version of the JSW engine in which the screen flashes red and pauses for a moment. Perhaps that code could be ported into, for example, my next game, Strangel 2?

1 hour ago, Sendy The Endless said:

Would creating a fixed pause of a second or two be possible using a null loop? (I think that's what it's called, in Basic it would be an empty for...next loop)

Yes. 🙂

What you're thinking of (as described) is a bit like this:

FOR A=0 TO 200 : NEXT A

(Might have to have it at 250)

I would of in the past suggesting a loop with a HALT in it, but the problem is you need to enable interrupts for this to work (I thought that would be OK) however (thanks NS) it was pointed out the IX/IY might be corrupted so a better way of doing it without having to re-enable the interrupts is:

ld bc,2048
delay:
dec e
jr nz,delay

dec    bc
inc    b
djnz    delay

Will have to write it out in a different format.

2 hours ago, Sendy The Endless said:

I actually quite like the Softricks version of the JSW engine in which the screen flashes red and pauses for a moment. Perhaps that code could be ported into, for example, my next game, Strangel 2?

Without looking, from memory it simply uses two calls , a few bytes of original code are moved to the "new place" where the ST code lives as they are needed, and in the original code space the call to the new routine, those two calls are 1 to call the title screen code and 2 to setup a call (in a loop) to call the title screen sound, but within the routine itself, so it can then make a sound and vary the border colour.

To answer the question in another way

Yes + Yes + Yes , all possible. 🙂