Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Manic Ted - anyone know anything about this?

SedricAndCharlie

Hi all, long time no speak (this guy used to be SOA1000 on the yahoo group)! I'm currently trying to catalogue all my MM/JSW games, and I have one here named Manic Ted, which I have dated from 2016. There's no accompanying text and the title screen hasn't been modified at all, so there's no credits provided. It's also not completable and probably not complete in its current state: I'm not 100% you _can_ get to all the items in Room 4 (I used a poke in the end to circumvent it), but Room 5 is emphatically broken as there's an enemy embedded in a wall. Anyway, I couldn't find mention of this on Daniel's page or with a cursory search of the forum, so I thought I would see what y'all say

EDIT: Deleted the old file

Edited by SedricAndCharlie

That's a very very old 'internal build' test version, a kind of "let's test the waters" rather than anything concrete.

Strangely enough, I did actually update @jetsetdanny only a few days ago with details of it as such.

I am assuming the file above came from the downloads here, the 'internal' projects one as that stands at MT2 as well currently (to be honest I had forgotten about that)

As I can recall: The last update was done on May 6th 2020. However, the game itself was rebuilt afresh (at some unknown point) due losing some data. The 'old' version did have a slightly alterted title screen that was 'work in progress' and had a few more caverns sensibly set using 'ted' graphics / blocks and sane layouts (sort of)

The last surviving build is MT5

You can see here, its probably worth reading through the entire topic.

NB: Contributor access only to both those links, mentioning this so if anyone outside the group tries , they'll get an error. 🙂

Edited by Spider
Typo

5 minutes ago, SedricAndCharlie said:

ah, awesome! Thanks for clearing that up. The contributor-only element is probably why the search engine didn't return anything, since I wasn't signed in at the time

You're welcome.

You may want to remove the file above in your post (I leave that to you if you want to) as its so old and an early build as a 'test' really as mentioned rather than anything decent, to prevent its escape from the Mine (or Factory) into the wild. I don't really mind either way other than its a bit broken as expected.

As above the game was rebuilt at one stage with better caverns and if I recall correctly I did try to put some of those ideas back from memory.

Yes its in the Contributor area while it was being erm "built" but progress stalled for a lot of reasons , unrelated to here or the game itself. 🙂 The idea has a lot of merit still I think.

Hi SedricAndCharlie,

JSW Central should be up to date at this time, with everything that has been gamma-released mentioned there (it does NOT list unfinished projects except on this page). I hope it will help you to catalog your MM/JSW games. You can also download most of them (with an exception or two where the author would not approve of it).

Please let me know if you find that anything is missing from JSW Central! Or any incorrect/outdated information that would need correcting - I will be happy to add/change it.

Merci Daniel, I shall, though I think all I've got are some obscure tech demos lying around. Sadly although I used to obsessively keep every single thing posted to the MMJSW yahoo group, including some extremely minor edits of JSW and games that never progressed past a few rooms, a lot of what I had got lost years ago in a software crash

@SedricAndCharlie The topic should have all the information in, hopefully. Its not written in a great manner though, more a case of "my notes I decided to post"

I do recall now I think again the game title screen was changed at one stage using the 'Tech Ted' cyan slices, and also I experimented with a loading screen similar to that too, I may be wrong but I also think I tried just using lined text (from the built in Spectrum graphic blocks) for the title too.

The 'with more caverns' versions don't exist unfortunately, only what is in that topic, being MT5 as the last one so far.

I should perhaps update the download or remove it, as I say until you mentioned it I had completely forgotten about that, the idea really was simply collaborate working with revisions saved to prevent / undo any accidental changes, but we did discover it was actually easier to just upload a new version number into a topic with the list of changes then discuss them, the idea being only one person at one time would "take the file and work on it"

🙂 As you see its not really in a distributable state 🤣

On 9/18/2023 at 6:24 PM, SedricAndCharlie said:

Merci Daniel, I shall, though I think all I've got are some obscure tech demos lying around. Sadly although I used to obsessively keep every single thing posted to the MMJSW yahoo group, including some extremely minor edits of JSW and games that never progressed past a few rooms, a lot of what I had got lost years ago in a software crash

You can surely send me (preferably by e-mail) anything you have you don't see on JSW Central and I will consider whether it belongs there or not. 

As mentioned before, unfinished projects are not listed on lists of games on JSW Central. This rule is a little bit more relaxed regarding what I classify as versions/minor mods of either MM or JSW, because sometimes it would be even hard to tell whether a certain project is finished or not, and even if they are finished, they may not have 'official' launches as new games would typically have. So there's a chance that some obscure tech demo may qualify to actually be included in the list of MM or JSW variants 🙂 .