Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

JSW Editor - German

Spider

While looking in my archive for something completely unrelated (is that not always the case) I found this file.

A 'Basic' editor for JSW

The game file is loaded in and is quite different in some respects, including the room mapping. The code does include an extra piece of code sat at 26400 which I have included into the tape files for the "Game" , the "Editor" zip is as found. I also took the liberty to extract each screen. The code is to display rooms for the editor, however I had added it to the game file expecting it to contain extra data needed to display accented characters perhaps. No matter.

The 'editor' itself as found (does have game file) :

Editor.zip

A 'standalone' game file , I merely took the code out of the editor tape and added a simple loader:

Game_File.zip

The same as the above 'standalone' but with some cheats (infinite lives / fall height / immunity to arrows + fire cells + guardians) for testing purposes :

Game_File - Immunity.zip

The room screens as individual png files of 256px x 128px including the last unused three. Interestingly room 47 aka " ] " contains a modified (to this version, never mind the original) Bathroom :

Rooms.zip

Thanks for posting this, Andy! 👍

This file was discussed in another topic, starting with this message.

I recently included it on the newly-created page on JSW Central, which is a 'list' of Files NOT listed on JSW Central.

The file was originally uploaded by Vidar Eriksen (Erix1) to his Manic Miner & Jet Set Willy Development Page and has been hosted (still is) since 2000 at http://jswremakes.emuunlim.com/Mmt/mmtools.htm. 

Two rooms from this file inspired rooms I included in "Jet Set Willy: The 2005 Megamix" and "Jet Set Willy: The 2010 Megamix".

The first one is "Konservendosenlager" (43). It inspired the room "Above the Quirky Stairway" (room 097 in "JSW: The 2010 Megamix" and room 070 in "Jet Set Willy: The 2005 Megamix"). I modified the German remix of the screen and introduced new guardians, including sprites from MM and a hybrid composite guardian featuring the lower part of the original Matthew Smith's design and the upper part modified by Darren McCowan.

The other room is "I'm Getting desufnoC" (room 100 in "JSW: The 2010 Megamix" and room 098 in "Jet Set Willy: The 2005 Megamix"). It is a remake of "Saege, Ei Und kein Vogel" (07), which is, in turn, a remake of "Cuckoo's Nest" (07) from the original JSW.

The playable game file has only been available as a SNA snapshot, created back in 2000 by Gawp (Gary Pearce). Interestingly, you are offering a TAP file here. Where did you get if from/how did you create it?

Even more interestingly, your file seems to be more complete than the SNA file mentioned above! 😮(which has been available 'for ever'). In the SNA file room 00 is an unmodified "The Off License". In your file, it's a totally modified room called "Die Ueberquerung". Quite possibly it's the first time that (most) people (other than the creators of this variant) are able to see it!

Incidentally, the name of this room indicates there are no diacritical (accented) characters in the game - it's spelled "ueber" with "ue" instead of the u-umlaut (u with two dots above).

Thanks Danny.

The game file is untouched , its the code you see inside "editor.zip" , I merely took a copy of it and created a simple Basic loader so the game could be ran "as it was" independent of the editor.

Note: I did create the .zip "editor.zip" to put the file in.

I do not know exactly where it came from because my "unsorted" archive contains files from the Craig Rothwell (sp?) "WOS" CD

as well as these CD's:

"Die Speccy 97"

Speccy 96

Speccy 97

Speccy 98v1

Speccy 98v2

Speccy 3000

In other words, I did not "create" a tape image as such of a snapshot. If you look at the tape file "editor.zip"  you'll see the game code and if you use Block Editor , make a note of the CRC for it then compare it to the "Game_File" (not the immunity one as that will be different) , you'll see its the same. As far as "my creation" goes, it is the Basic loader for the stand alone game file (not the game code) and the patched immunity version, nothing more.

Another look at the files, within , its not in one of those above it seems, however I do see a few variants in the same folder, see this picture:

edit.png

Here is a zip of those shown above in file explorer:

Jet Set Willy - Editor (unknown).zip

The tzx appears to be the Paul Rhodes version.

The tap is the same as the one uploaded yesterday (a duplicate with a full name vs MS-DOS shortened names) , the sna and z80 are also the 'German' version. Only the .tzx is completely different and out of place.

Oh for what it is worth, in the file explorer pictures, the other two 'editors' you see on the left. The "Jet Set Editor" is by Spectrum Electronics and the "Editor MK2" is the Softricks variant.

It is possible due to duplicate folder names this ended up (the P.R version) in this folder but that seems unlikely.

Given the (just noted) difference in size of the tap (which is the one above) vs the tzx, I'm attaching all four of those in the following .zip file. The reason I did not before was likely as I have so many duplicates in the unsorted mess, this is the same as the shortened file name version which is what I uploaded, so the following picture is the actual one I uploaded yesterday, as found in my archives:

edit2.png

So there you have it. 🙂

14 hours ago, jetsetdanny said:

Thanks for the explanation and the files, Andy! 🙂 

You're welcome. Sorry the topic was a bit "back to front"

To clarify a bit more, the game file code was just taken out of the editor file(s) , and its the same.

You can run the game from that too thus:

Load in either "Jet Set Willy - Editor (unknown).Tap" or its MS-DOS shortened name of "JSW_ED_1.TAP" (both are identical)

match.png

At the "NR ? " aka number of room to edit , (as I was too lazy to figure the commands out to use the editor) , Symbol Shift and A to enter 'STOP'

Then save "code" 32768 , 32768 (or run it with 33792)