Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

"Terry The Turtle" - item completability?

jetsetdanny

However, I have now managed to find a way to collect those two awkward items in Cheat Mode. I manoeuvred Terry to an equivalent position to directly underneath the two items, in another room, and then switched rooms (via the cursor-based JSW64 Cheat Mode room-swap mechanism).

That way, I got Terry embedded in the floor directly underneath the items, with his sprite's pixels aligned with the items as much as possible. I then jumped straight upwards. When you are mid-jump, the sprite's INK attribute stretches up through three character rows at times, and since the Terry sprite is only about five pixels high, an attribute collision with the items was able to take place before a pixel collision with the guardian caused either death, or (with Forcefield activated) the switching off of the Draw Willy routine (which needs to be executed in order to collect items).

21 hours ago, IRF said:

So in summary, I couldn't find a way to obtain any of the 'Forbidden Holy Items', but at least hopefully I have put your mind at rest that you haven't 'missed a trick' in that regard!?

Ian, thank you SO MUCH for analysing this issue! Indeed, you have put my mind at rest that I haven't missed anything. And the timing has been very helpful as I will soon set out to re-record the first file in question (the Yellow version).

I also congratulate you on collecting the last remaining items in the Cheat mode 👍. This is not pertinent to my YouTube videos (as I don't use any cheat modes in them), but a testament to your tenacity in pursuing the specified goal 😉.

21 hours ago, IRF said:

I didn't check out the Vector Edition either, but if you say that there is no way to be able to drop down into Styx twice during the same game (presumably because the linear nature of the route doesn't allow for that?), then I can't see how you can collect both items (unless a gust of wind can blow Terry sideways as he descends - or I suppose it might be a sea current given the nature of the setting - or unless he can take a fat pill to expand his sprite across four columns!)

Yes, the linear nature of the route doesn't allow for dropping down into Styx twice during the same game AFAICT.

The question would be whether there isn't some kind of exit somewhere which allows Terry to go back to an earlier part of the route and drop down into Styx again. However, I couldn't find any such exit, and the layout of the map doesn't suggest there is one.

24 minutes ago, jetsetdanny said:

The question would be whether there isn't some kind of exit somewhere which allows Terry to go back to an earlier part of the route

That much is technically true, in so far as the room Hidden Chamber is first encountered early on in the game (before Styx) - where only the area to the right of the partition in that room is accessible - and then later on in the game (after Styx, I believe) a pair of teleporters allows you access into the area of Hidden Chamber to the left of the partition, and back again to the same 'zone' (the jungle-themed area - not sure how that works in a sub-aqueous environment but there you go)...

24 minutes ago, jetsetdanny said:

and drop down into Styx again.

... That's where the problem lies - once you teleport back to an earlier part of the layout, you cannot do anything but teleport forwards again. So a second bite of the Styx Cherberus isn't possible.