Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Editors / Emulators for Mac

Currently I don't have a working windows PC/laptop. I may have an old one I can re-purpose, but if not:

I noticed on John Elliott's site he says "Versions of JSWED exist for Win32 ... and for Linux with SDL. The Linux version also compiles and runs on BeOS and MacOS X". 
Does anyone know if it works on a Mac? Has anyone tried?

Similarly is there a decent emulator for Mac these days?

I'm not sure having not owned a Mac for a long long long time (PowerPC 6100!) running System7 😮 😄 

Do newer versions of the OS not have "Wine" (or similar tool) which lets you run some Windows programs ? Wine is for Linux but I've not really tried it much to see how good it is.

I'd not recommend trying a virtual machine inside the Mac as it may run so slowly and be quite annoying.

I don't ever use Macs, so I don't know.

However, I can share some info about running JSWED on a Mac.

Igor Makovsky asked about it recently. The conversation is in the comments under the video here, starting with Igor's comment "Game author here. It was a dedication to my lovely SO, btw".

As mentioned there, I reached out to John Elliott, JSWED's author, of course, to see if he can help. He got back to me and said that he hadn't tried to build JSWED on a Mac. He said it would be necessary to install the software development tools, download the source for JSWED and the libraries it uses, and compile it. Alternatively, it might be worth trying to run the Windows version under emulation, if the Mac has a suitable Windows virtual machine or emulator installed. John currently doesn't have access to a recent Mac, so he can't really offer detailed advice for this.

Hello Gawp. I have asked about Mac editors previously, I do have a pc, but tend to use my macbook

more these for most things, so a Mac editor would be really good. In truth I have not looked that hard, it

may be that someone has compiled JSWED for Mac and it is currently on github or the like, have you had

a good look for it?

EDIT: this looks interesting?

https://github.com/muckypaws/Manic-Miner-Engine

Edited by MtM

Posted (edited)

Thanks - I’ll have a look at that. To be honest I haven’t looked that hard yet! 
I guess I was lazily hoping someone would point me at one hehe. 

On the plus side I have got my very old windows laptop working (Win10), and will try JSWED on it this weekend. May be easier as my Mac is an iMac so not portable. 
I’ll likely have to find a newer emulator as my 20 year old one is a bit glitchy!

Edited by GawpGRP
Spelling

36 minutes ago, GawpGRP said:

On the plus side I have got my very old windows laptop working (Win10), and will try JSWED on it this weekend. May be easier as my Mac is an iMac so not portable. 
I’ll likely have to find a newer emulator as my 20 year old one is a bit glitchy!

It's good to know (from the other thread) that you did get your old laptop working.

I use two emulators: ZX Spin (which is free) for playing (I pretty much always play using Rollback, i.e. RZX-recording games and being able to roll them back to cue points if I lose a life or want to repeat a manoeuvre) and Spectaculator (of which I own a registered copy) for watching RZX recordings and for playing them back when I record videos for the JSW Central YouTube channel.

However, these are just my personal preferences. I know people use other emulators, like Fuse or Qaop. It would actually be interesting to hear what other emulators people use these days 🙂 .