Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

My game - What a Wonderful World of Willie

Jet Set Willie

15 hours ago, Jet Set Willie said:

I will repeat: Soon you will see! 😉I will tell a bit about the game making then.

But about what you said about increasing the game speed a bit, is there a speed increasing piece of code available already? I know there is some super fast JSW game, but I don´t know anything else.

Small amount of space is needed, not a lot.

For an idea, please load a standard Manic Miner game and just move about in the first cavern (or play it) , then load this one and do the same please.

Thank you! What a nice increase in speed! 🙂

My game could benefit with this and as just small amount of space is needed, it will fit there then. But I think I will publish my game as it is and after people have played it, I might then publish a "speed up version", so everyone can compare them, if they want to.

I tried the original and the faster version sound turned off, so please tell me, does that code speed up the music and sound effects, too? If it does, I am not sure, if that´s a good thing.

Game speed has no effect on the title tunes for MM or JSW

Game speed has no effect on spot effects such as item collection sounds (jsw or moded MM) the arrows (JSW) the boot falling, 

Game speed has no effect on the notes played for the in game tune. e.g. the pitch of those clicks will stay exactly the same. It will however increase the tempo to match the new playing speed.

Game speed has no effect on the pitch of the effect played when Willy jumps or falls. The tempo of the effect will reflect the change in speed.

In short the pitch of sound effects is not governed by the speed of play. Since all the effects actually suspend the game whilst the effect is played.

Thank you Norman for the detailed answer, that´s good to hear! 🙂I will soon publish my game, as JetsetDanny has testplayed it now and he didn´t find any bugs. 😍I will just make little last minute fixes and I will publish it after that. 🙂 After Norman´s answer, I think I will release a faster version later, too. 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...

My game, What a Wonderful World of Willie (no relation) 😋 has been almost published now. You have just to wait until some of the moderators has checked it is not spam. 😉 When I started to make it, I wanted it to be a Willy game, but without Willy himself, so I thought about suitable Willy-ish names and I came to Willie, as it felt good. (no relation) 😄

Originally I was thinking about two different games, an Indiana Jones type exploring game and a spy story.  I don´t want to spoil your playing, I just say that several Indiana type rooms were the first ones what I made. I soon I realised that those rooms alone would need tens and tens of rooms, not to talk about the jungle and other places. The game would have needed at least 256 rooms, but I am not sure, if that would have been enough. And as being busy, too, I chose to just merge my two ideas and trying to fit them in just about 60 rooms.

The original version was much harder, as I was making it just for myself. But I quickly changed it to easier to make it suitable for others. OK - there is still one harder room. 😇

The game can be found from Downloads > Jet Set Willy Remakes. Please load the TZX file first, by using a real speed tape emulation, thank you. 🙂 If I was you, I would load it using a real Spectrum. 😊

Edited by Jet Set Willie