Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Jsw MSX / Tatung Einstein

Spider

A game using the original JSW game engine can have up to 256 items ("objects") to collect.

The original JSW has 83 items to collect.

Therefore, you could say there are 173 spare items in the game, apart from (or rather: not including) the "duplicated" one in "The Beach".

If I understand Richard Dymond's dissassembly correctly, the first 173 items in the item table are unused.

True, and that would make for an epic game, but Spider's Bug Fix Edition was designed to fix the known bugs but with minimal additions.  He decided in that context to separate out the double item and place one of them elsewhere; I was merely suggesting an alternative location for that one item.

I'd love to see a version with 256 items to collect though!*

(*Three times as many items would presumably mean Willy's hangover would be three times as bad!)

Thanks for the explanation  :) .

There are many JSW remakes in which you have to collect 256 items and some are truly epic games either because they feature a huge number of rooms (up to 256 if they use the JSW128 game engine) or because they are horrendously difficult and passing each room is an epic in itself.

However, I've never heard of a version of the original JSW with 256 items to collect. Perhaps we could create one, picking up on your idea?  ;)

I also like the additional location on The Beach identified by Spider.  Having just had a go (in the original edition though so there wasn't actually an item there), I can now appreciate the added peril - the conveyor belt in the sea transports you off screen to The Yacht, where you have to have your wits about you and jump before you hit the Nasty flag.

Played the msx version for the first time this morning,it is okay to be honest although slightly slower than the speccy verison and a little clunky (not smooth),I did notice a few different things as I explored such as there being no flash function on the scenery unless I was mistaken.

Sorry for the delay!

You were not playing the truly awful HudsonSoft Bee Card version, I trust?

Else

I also like the additional location on The Beach identified by Spider.  Having just had a go (in the original edition though so there wasn't actually an item there), I can now appreciate the added peril - the conveyor belt in the sea transports you off screen to The Yacht, where you have to have your wits about you and jump before you hit the Nasty flag.

:D That was the idea. Its not far away and I wanted to keep the same (well kind of) vertical position. The idea was so that if you were not paying attention you'd be dragged into the 'flag' ;)

Out of curiosity, do we have a place to migrate discussions of the