Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Jsw MSX / Tatung Einstein

Spider

Sorry, I didn't mean the vertical ladder (which is halfway across West Bedroom and takes you up to under the eaves of AtWB - mind your head! - where there is an existing object [pair of pliers] to collect, which I believe involves a quick diversion via the bottom-left of West Wing Roof).

Rather, I meant to refer to the climb at the left-hand side of West Bedroom which involves tricky left and right jumps before you eventually end up on the outside of the sloping roof of AtWB.  Having an object there (just before the final jump onto the sloping roof) would essentially mean you'd have to ascend the West Bedroom twice - both tricky climbs in their own way - once on the inside and once on the outside.

Just to be clear, I'm suggesting putting the object on one of the two short platforms above the word 'the' in the screen title of Above the West Bedroom.

Edited by IRF

Thank you for the clarification. :)

OK take a quick look at this following your suggestion, I've positioned Willy out of the way for extra clarity:

new_atwb_object.png

This does make perfect sense and I can see what you mean, to coin a phrase "a picture says a thousand words"

Also you're 100% correct you *can* escape the conveyor without dying if you time your jump right you can (once you're aware of it) relatively easily escape via a jump.

Now, there's a slight issue with positioning this object here. Willy cannot climb down again without losing a life. See pics:

Willy in place to collect object after climbing:

getting_obj_1.png

The only way 'down' is right, moving left will result in an infinite death as you'll fall through the screen to the Back Door.

Willy moves right to land on the platform below:

getting_obj_2.png

All looks OK, but the 'issue' here is a jump to the left is certain death, a jump to the right results in him exiting the screen at the top, and when he falls, he falls straight onto the razor blade nasty as its start position is too high. For necessity in the pics I've had to immunize him so you can see:

getting_obj_3.png

The conclusion I guess is its quite possible but you must then jump right onto the roof ramp/slope and not attempt to climb down again. :)

"The conclusion I guess is its quite possible but you must then jump right onto the roof ramp/slope and not attempt to climb down again."

Exactly.  It's a one-way climb - at least once you get past a certain point of no return - and that last jump onto the roof slope is doable but quite tricky, but as the game stands it's a climb with no reward.  Maybe it was meant that way as a red herring, but if there's a spare object due to the double object in The Beach, then it's as good an alternative location for it as any.

You'd have to go right round (along the top of the West Wing Roof and then via the Orangery and West Wing) to collect the other pair of pliers, if you haven't already.

Edited by IRF

By the way, you gave me the idea earlier on in this thread when you said that AtWB was one possible location where the extra Beach item could have been intended for, based on your reading of the machine code?

EDIT: Sorry, it was a post by Zub, not one of yours:

http://jswmm.co.uk/topic/51-jsw-msx-tatung-einstein/?p=211

Edited by IRF

Going by this quote, my preferred location for a second object in AtWB doesn't accord with his interpretation of the machine code: "One of the items on The Beach is intended for a different room, but the x-coordinate byte is correct. The y-coordinate may be correct, or may be eight squares too low."

I do think I've identified the optimum place to put it from a gameplay perspective though.

Also, in terms of x and y coordinates it's not that far off where you put the extra item on The Beach in the 2015 bug fix edition (in the waves)?

Edited by IRF

I remember I looked a while ago for a suitable location for the beach 'double' (using the same co-ordinates) but there were not that many suitable places surprisingly. :) As you've just re-mentioned I think the Y is likely off one block.

I'm assuming by this one 'square' ie 8x8 pixels rather than 8 blocks (that would probably leave very few choices) :)

(snip)  Maybe it was meant that way as a red herring, but if there's a spare object due to the double object in The Beach, then it's a good an alternative location for it as any.

A game using the original JSW game engine can have up to 256 items ("objects") to collect.

The original JSW has 83 items to collect.

Therefore, you could say there are 173 spare items in the game, apart from (or rather: not including) the "duplicated" one in "The Beach".

If I understand Richard Dymond's dissassembly correctly, the first 173 items in the item table are unused.