• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Metalmickey

Metalmickey

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 276 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:20 PM

i guess i could start again with a new theme "Jet Set Willy at the Overlook Hotel" .. maybe i'll have it completed by Halloween next year...

#22 Spider

Spider

DEC (HL)

• Administrator
  • 3,578 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:31 PM

Well one of the reasons as to why my 256 room project has been all but abandoned shelved is because i didn't begin any sort of play-testing until i was about 120 or so rooms in, then when loading it into various emulators that i have at my disposal the game loads ok but after pressing Enter to start it just crashes and resets .. i'm currently waiting on delivery of a 128+3 so i am going to try it out on that when it arrives... 

Long shot but try loading it first with the 'Tape Loader' (so its 128K mode) , if it still crashes:

Don't switch to 48K mode in the menu, instead enter 128K Basic and either type in SPECTRUM or USR 0 to reset it to 48K mode, this should still leave ( ! ) the 128K memory and facilities available.

It should be recoverable though, were you manually using the hex editor ? :unsure:

Changing order to chaos since 1984

#23 jetsetdanny

jetsetdanny

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 11:49 PM

Well one of the reasons as to why my 256 room project has been all but abandoned shelved is because i didn't begin any sort of play-testing until i was about 120 or so rooms in, then when loading it into various emulators that i have at my disposal the game loads ok but after pressing Enter to start it just crashes and resets .. i'm currently waiting on delivery of a 128+3 so i am going to try it out on that when it arrives... 

Metalmickey:

I am positive that since you've put so much work into the project already, one way or another we will figure out what the problem is (asking John Elliott for help as a last resort).

For the time being, could you tell us which is the starting room (room number in JSWED)? If it's above 33 or so, try moving it to a lower number. Or just try setting the starting point to a safe location in room 00 or 01. Have you tried that by any chance? I am asking because I remember in the past there was a problem with starting rooms "above" a certain number.

You could also send me the file (e.g. uploading it here in a new PM thread, if you want, or straight to my e-mail address visible here) and I would have a look at it to see if there is anything I can do about it :).

Edited by jetsetdanny, 16 December 2017 - 11:51 PM.

#24 Spider

Spider

DEC (HL)

• Administrator
  • 3,578 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:54 AM

The only other idea I had was to export each part of the data separately, ie: rooms , sprites etc then import them into a new 'empty' game of the same 'variant' although that seems a bit of a drastic step. :) Hopefully Danny will be able to assist you with a 'repair' if you take up his offer.

#25 Metalmickey

Metalmickey

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 276 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:49 PM

think i know what the problem is, i'm using my own modified version of JSW where i fixed the conveyors by putting in the modified code in an alternative location to where Skoolkid originally suggested .. think i might need to relocate it elsewhere

#26 Spider

Spider

DEC (HL)

• Administrator
  • 3,578 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:20 PM

think i know what the problem is, i'm using my own modified version of JSW where i fixed the conveyors by putting in the modified code in an alternative location to where Skoolkid originally suggested .. think i might need to relocate it elsewhere

Sounds a promising idea/thought. :)

As daft as it sounds (sorry!) always take and then work on a copy to make changes, the amount of 'issues' I've created for myself (not JSW just generally) with thinking ' its fine ' and then finding out its not after.. :lol: :unsure:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jswed2, suggestions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users