Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

[File] Manic Miner - Highscore Challenge

Spider

11 hours ago, DigitalDuck said:

I've managed to complete Abandoned Uranium Workings with 1856 points, but it's in a very non-standard way and probably shouldn't count in the rankings... I'll reveal more when I'm done exploring other levels.

Intriguing... I would say that if it involved the use of some quirky feature of the existing game engine, then it should count. But if you used a POKE of some sort, then it shouldn't.

3 minutes ago, IRF said:

Intriguing... I would say that if it involved the use of some quirky feature of the existing game engine, then it should count. But if you used a POKE of some sort, then it shouldn't.

It doesn't use any POKEs, it's possible in both the original Bug-Byte and Software Projects versions without any modifications.

However, it's not possible in the high score challenge version of the game.

On 3/25/2018 at 11:54 AM, Spider said:

The caverns are completely unaltered from the standard game, as are the scoring counts.

If the above statement is correct (quoted from the first post of this thread), then I can't think how you managed to achieve a higher score in that (or any other) cavern of the BB* version than you can in the High Score Challenge version!?

(*The HSC is based on BB, so it is possible to achieve one extra point in the SP version's 'The Warehouse', because the different sprites there means that Willy can sneak past the last one, one time-frame sooner. But that doesn't apply to 'Abandoned Uranium Workings'.)

8 hours ago, IRF said:

Intriguing, indeed. And I fully agree that if it involved the use of some quirky feature of an unmodified game engine without any POKEs, then it should count.

Has the algorithm been beaten again???

Looking forward to the revelation of the mystery 😉 .

In short: earning enough extra lives corrupts the screen, which acts as floor tiles in most caverns and allow routes that aren't normally available.

The following five scores are shown in the video:

Abandoned Uranium Workings - 1856

Miner Willy meets the Kong Beast - 4142

Wacky Amoebatrons - 1377

Attack of the Mutant Telephones - 1750

Ore Refinery - 1884

Wow! Did you actually play far enough without losing lives to gain enough extra lives to spill over onto the playing area, or did you POKE the remaining lives to a high number and start from there?

Anyway, I'm confident now that I won't need to update my forthcoming project again like I did have to do for The Endorian Forest.

5 minutes ago, IRF said:

Wow! Did you actually play far enough without losing lives to gain enough extra lives to spill over onto the playing area, or did you POKE the remaining lives to a high number and start from there?

Anyway, I'm confident now that I won't need to update my forthcoming project again like I did have to do for The Endorian Forest.

I played through, albeit not in real-time (so savestates, rollback etc.) - I'm doing it for a max score run because I think it's interesting to watch the game disintegrate as you play.

It takes about two hours of perfect play to get to this point so I don't recommend it.

Okay, I've just seen the caveat at the start of your video. (EDIT: This post crossed over with DD's latest reply.) On that basis, whilst it's a very interesting and quirky experiment, I don't think it should form the basis of an update to the ranking table?

As you suggest, it isn't something that can be achieved in the High Score Challenge, because it relies on the player having completed all 20 caverns several times through beforehand! Which isn't something you can do in the HSC; you just pick a cavern and play it (slowing your score for that cavern easily to be seen, since you start off with 000000)

Also, the high scores in the table at the start of this thread should serve as a target for the average (good) player to aspire to. I don't think activating this bug is within the bounds of normal/sane gameplay!

Plus the precise outworkings of the bug may be somewhat predictable. In one cavern during your experiment, an errant extra life auto-collected an item (presumably because the INK in the host character space was rendered in white). But in other circumstances, a non-white INK attribute might get printed over an item, making it uncollectable!?

Those are just my personal musings; ultimately it's Andy (Spider)'s call as to whether to update the high score table, since it's his project.

Edited by IRF