Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Technician Ted

MtM

Thanks. 🙂 Its well beyond my area (musical items) at all, example being Zzoom, I've heard that title so many times but I cannot put a name to it 😞 🙂

I do remember at least a couple of people said it sounded vaguely familiar but could not place it. I did wonder if that Shazam program might be able to ID but decided to not bother installing any random stuff to find out.

South Bank Show ? 😮 I remember that from the 80's ? I did not know it was still about.

Edited by Spider

I had a good friend also download and listen to it, but again she could not ID it either.

Perhaps it just "sounds like" a section of something else and that is the reasoning. I'm not sure.

Quite a few level intro tunes in Specventure (this is a decent game trying to get out) are vaguely familiar too.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah OK no problem. 🙂

Appreciate you checking for me and "thanks Richard" too.

I will still extract it however. 😉

Moving on in 'platforms in general' both Kokotoni Wilf and Frank-N-Stein are well worth a mention. The former for having a 'fly' feature instead of jump. The latter for aside from being majority written in (compiled) Basic the jump feature only works directly vertical in certain places. The re-release updated 'rebooted' version does expand on this to a more regular jump routine in the bonus screens.

11 minutes ago, Spider said:

I'm hoping @Richard Hallasmay be able to confirm or deny its a 'real tune' as such. 🙂

As Ian has just said, he emailed me this question directly a few days ago. I might as well reproduce my response to him here…

If it is an extract of real/known music, then I don't know what it is.

However, I suspect very strongly that it's a short original piece that's derived from Bach's most famous Toccata and Fugue – i.e. that in D minor, BWV565.

No, it clearly isn't identical. But it's very similar indeed to a couple of phrases that could have been extracted from BVW565. Moreover, it's in the same key (i.e. D minor), which supports the idea that the game author heard the piece and made up something quite similar.

So I strongly suspect that the author simply came up with a couple of decent-sounding Bach-like phrases, probably based on a hearing of BWV565. It's a perfectly valid thing to do, and I think it works well here. I'd be quite surprised, in fact, if this isn't exactly what happened. If only it were possible to contact the author to find out! 🙂

Anyway, that's my take on it. Rip-off Bach, as is quite common, but fairly well done. It's either deliberate or subconscious, I'm sure, but I'd put money on BWV565 being the source.

PS Further to the above, it's also worth noting that there are actually only two phrases in the Alchemist theme (both of them repeated), and although the second phrase sounds faster and more complex than the first, that's only because of the pedal note (the repeated upper note, on the fifth of the scale). Without that pedal note, the two phrases actually go at the same speed and are very similar indeed. So really, it boils down to being a single short and slightly modified extract from BWV565, as far as I'm concerned.