Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Technician Ted

MtM

I've never used the FB 'app' , I use the mobilebasic (m.facebook and mbasic.facebook) in a desktop browser on the occasions I visit. The full site has changed a few times over the years I think and tis far too much cluttered for me. To further 'assist' me when removing preinstalled junk from the telephone the manufacturer seemed to think was 'essential' (and locked against removal, or so they thought hehe) :

no_facebook.jpg

😄 😄 🙂 😮

A similar thing was done to some other nonsense too, despite more or less being told tjr sky might fall in etc etc, nothing did including the Google system framework. Root FTW 😄

The only recent change I noted a couple of months back is the fact the messenger system does not work in the basic modes anymore forcing me to use the full messenger desktop page. This is their simple messenger thing not their app.

Back on topic, the title tune from Zzoom is also very worthy of a listen / extraction. 🙂

The Wally Week series of games is also quite good all in all, I considered at one point 'borrowing' some of the graphics for JSW however their proportions were not ideal, mind you giant 'snapping' creatures from Pyjama (unsure if they are crabs, lobster or some other " crustacean" I'm not sure)

Regarding 'tune.tap' , this is the title screen data from HydroFool and Sweevo's World/Whirled. The data provided was actually extracted from Hyrdrofool, I should of probably taken it from Sweevo as its a separate file but as they load and run at the same address it did not make much difference.

Attached is something quite similar, this is a BBC Micro (sound chip on these is a Texas SN76489, 3 sound channels and one noise) unlike the AY3891x series used in say the CPC range and the ZX 128 machines. Anyway the video clip includes a nice player in effect too: Unfortunately the sound quality is not great but its worth a listen I think:

12MB / MP4 / 2m:58s

Enjoy! 🙂

On 4/7/2021 at 1:26 PM, MtM said:
On 4/7/2021 at 11:49 AM, IRF said:

I don't think that's the right tune. 😮

Well, if you listen to the link above from 10 seconds onwards, and listen to the .tap from 27 seconds onwards, they are identical. It could be that the .tap is an amalgam of another tune as well, I am just trying to work that part out.

Yes, you're right about that part. However, I wonder if it's a medley of different tunes?

The first bit is very familiar, but doesn't seem to be part of the Washington Post March.

Andy, just posted an embedded video in the previous post to this, which starts off with the same familiar tune as the tune-tap he previously uploaded.  Hopefully someone else might recognise the start of the tune?  @Richard Hallas perhaps?

Edited by IRF

I could not (at the moment) find anything else using that player. I do have a superb rendition of The Entertainer however for the same platform. I even modified it to show the "SOUND a,b,c,d" commands as they were "executed on the fly" so to speak. 🙂

Only problem is I could not find a sane speed for it, the default one was too slow and so I speeded it up a little bit. I may attempt to record a video/audio of it later, but the two choices of emulation I have for this platform, one does not sync them very well and the other does not appear to have any recording facilities! 😮 😞 😄

51 minutes ago, Spider said:

show the "SOUND a,b,c,d" commands as they were "executed on the fly

As promised. Squashed original .avi of 60mb down to 5mb mp4. Audio quality has not changed, video is still way out of sync anyway as it is with this emulator.

Bear in mind the sound chip (afaik) predates the AY unit used the Spectrum, Amstrad and other machines by a few years

Inside a .zip as it won't attach directly (browser issue perhaps)

Entertainer_mp4.zip

Primary sound channel is white, green and yellow indicate channel 2 and 3, decided to double height for the display. These as well as the output itself were something I decided to add. Merely as by default it does not really do anything visually!

Run time is just over two minutes. Pic attached of the output for the curious:

out.png

Edited by Spider
Tidied information up a little bit and swapped (not great) direct video upload for zip of video

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/6/2020 at 11:24 PM, MtM said:

Just wondered what opinion people have of T Ted around here?

I meant to do this a month or three ago 😞 oops. Pic taken this afternoon. Anyway:

t_ted_one_and_two.png

The slightly larger 'clamshell' type case on the right, the 128K 'MegaMix' version is the very same one I brought new back in the day. The left cassette tape I purchased I think in the late 90's or early 2000's , I could be mistaken. I did at one point have the original I'm sure, although a friend did have a 'backup' ahem, but I did not copy it, I did borrow it on occasion I'll admit.

Yes they still load 😉