Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

The speed of attract mode:

The original version was animated. that was changed to static and scrolling across. Each screen can be paused by pressing any key from the keys "Y","U","I","O","P" and holding it down.

The sequence of screens will keep on changing order (but will repeat on every reload of the game)

I have added a graphic change for the final toilet run. 

I added a blank item check into the code, and left it. A blank item will be filled with junk graphics. This makes blank items visible (in case a blank item crops up!)

Changed the title picture. That can now be aborted with "HJKL<enter>" or held on screen with "YUIOP"

Changed the screen display pause in attract mode . Held with "YUIOP" abort with "HJKL<enter>"

Items flash and item draw have been changed.

-----------------------------------------

MW-V1_1.png

MW-V1-1.tap

Edited by Norman Sword

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I have completed version 1-1 without any problems. The game can be completed with one life lost  - it has to be  sacrificed to collect the leftmost item in "Conservatory Roof", just like in the original game.

I loved the little extra thing at the end 🙂 .

An RZX recording of my playtest is attached below.

What are your plans for "Manic Jet Set Willy", Norman Sword? Are you going to develop it further, or is it a finished product, information about which could be added to JSW Central?

MV v. 1.1 - Daniel's playtest.rzx

There is an update. Needed to circumvent another piece of the original data. 

All rooms are numbered 0 to 63. Due to the way the original code uses or #c0 the top two bits are set to arrive at the room base address. My code does a simple calculation and indexes into an address list. Every room has data that follows the same format of being under 63 for the up/down/left/right exit.  That is until we arrive at the corrupted data in the normally unreachable rooms. Matthews code does not care what data it is given it will always arrive at a room number that is effectively from #c000 to #ff00 stepping one page at a time for all 64 rooms. My code however will calculate the room number as defined and unfortunately due to the corrupt rooms will calculate the position of junk room data. A bit like the arrow problem. Once an illegal room has been visited, the game goes eh up sgshd egfgf  noxt roosm. etc.

The update to fix the room problem also added updates to stop speed flicker/judder by inserting an optional frame sync. Which might be unobtainable on some keyboards. Due to the inability to properly scan multiple key combinations. --- Can/could switch the option, to <on> by defalut. At present it is <off> by default. Or I can change the key combinations or reduce the key combinations to only 2. --- At present set as <A> <S> <D>, which will also invoke pause. The screen will indicate that those keys are being pressed.(during game play) The status indicator for the sync being active or inactive is the colour of the letter <I> from the line <Items Collected ...
The colour is normaly the same as the end of the same line (blue) . When frame sync is active the colour will change from blue to Magenta.  A side effect of frame sync is a reduction in speed.  So typically the speed goes from
slowest (music + frame sync)         14.4
medium (music)                                13.28
fast (no music+ frame sync)            12.7

fastest(no music+ no frame sync) 11.08. 
The timing is my standard double room walk.  The change in speed is the effect of rounding up frame times, when sync is applied. In some rooms it will seem to have little effect in others it will drop the game speed noticeably.

No graphic change to the program. Although the method of storing the room data has been changed. 

------------------------------------

I spent a day writing a visual display of how I plan on compacting the data further. This program has the output files that it creates deleted. All 3 files need to be in the same directory. The two data files are the data files generated by 1) the key data    2) all 64 rooms .eg.g JSW from #c000 to #ffff. 

This show the data being compacted by over 50% - Not quite good enough for what I want.

This has been posted before I have had the chance to append any files. 

The files will be appended one by one

The picture shows the output of the program. (all values in hex)
1) the numeric value of each tile
2) the graphic output
3) Item positions (in pairs) the first value is the offset from the start of the room, the second value is where the data is in the key table
   above 3) is the count of each tile (in present room) data at the end of the line is the new compressed tile index and the graphic colour
4) present sprite data
5) each tiles index as generated by checking previous room data
6) the list of acquired data - in colour if being a tile drawn in current room
7) vertical compression/ horizontal compression/ stored count/original
Lots of other data concerning compaction of room names etc.

Screenshot 2021-10-23 235720_1.jpg

MW-V1-1a.tap n_rooms2.zip

Edited by Norman Sword
spelklunking.

• 2 years later...