Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

JSW Central

jetsetdanny

Same here - thanks for the detailed explanation, Norman Sword! 👍

I have run your keyboard scanner in Spectaculator, with the following results:

Keys combinations 6519, 6529 and 6539 showed correctly (as expected).

When I tried pressing 6549 simultaneously, only 5 and 6 showed as being pressed in your scanner!

When I tried pressing 65429, 65439 and 654219, the result was exactly the same, i.e. only 4 and 5 showed as being pressed. 

Additionally, I tried pressing 659 together - it works, of course, but pressing 654 doesn't work. Two of these keys can be pressed together - either 4 and 5, or 4 and 6, or 5 and 6, but not the three of them (only two show as pressed, the two that were pressed first). It's the same no matter whether I used my laptop's built-in keyboard or a USB keyboard attached to the laptop.

So this means that I have a problem with my keyboard.

In view of all this, I have modified the explanation on JSW Central to read as follows:

Number of rooms accessible without cheating: 59

(The rooms "The late Mr. Springs" [59] and "The lost Sundays - 1/7th of life" [60] are accessible only by using the Writetyper cheat, which can be activated [with great difficulty, because of the conveyor and the oncoming guardians] in "The original?" [28]. It should be noted that entering the long Writetyper codes for these rooms [654219 and 65439, respectively] may not work on some PC keyboards when playing the game on an emulator [due to keyboard scanning problems]. Moreover, the Writetyper teleportation into "The late Mr. Springs" has to be very precise so as to land within the Earth/Water cells, as most of the room is made up of Fire cells, which would kill Willy repeatedly on entry if touched.

Furthermore, the rooms "ZIP password : 5zt421" [33], "Leaving so soon?" [56], "Now leaving Mr Top Hat" [57] and "You've finished this game!" [58], which are part of the final sequence, are only accessible during the toilet run.)

I have also removed the word "probably" from the information placed above the screenshots of these two rooms, so that it now reads, "Rooms which can be accessed by using the Writetyper cheat:"

Thank you, Norman Sword, for helping me attain certainty regarding this issue! 👍 Your keyboard scanner is a very useful tool 🙂 .

6 hours ago, jetsetdanny said:

Keys combinations 6519, 6529 and 6539 showed correctly (as expected).

When I tried pressing 6549 simultaneously, only 5 and 6 showed as being pressed in your scanner!

When I tried pressing 65429, 65439 and 654219, the result was exactly the same, i.e. only 4 and 5 showed as being pressed. 

As I read it the quick test would simply be to test for'6519' (which works) and then '6549' (which does not)

The results are as follows:

ZXSpin v0.7

6519 = OK

6549 = Fail. Only 5 and 6 show

Spectaculator v8.0.x (Paid version)

6519 = OK

6549 = Fail. Only 5 and 6 show. Note this is the same if you switch to early keyboard emulation (ULA concern iirc)

Fuse v1.5.7

6519 = OK

Zero v0.71

6519 = OK

Although some of these have newer versions, it was what I "had to hand" as such. I did not test further however once you had one key from each "half row" it struggles with much else unless its the 'far end' , for example if you hold "T" and "Y" so you're having the second left and right hand rows, it won't accept "R" or "U" , ie one 'either side' of that.

JSW Central has been updated again, with a small structural change:

The "Other game engines" section has been reorganised and divided into three subsections:

"A. The original Manic Miner recreated/modified/extended using other game engines";

"B. The original Jet Set Willy recreated/modified/extended using other game engines";

"C. New games using other game engines".

I have moved Norman Sword's version of "Manic Miner" and Paradigm Shifter's "Manic Miner Turbo" from "Versions of the original Manic Miner" to section "A. The original Manic Miner recreated/modified/extended using other game engines" of the "Other game engines" section. The reason for this is that the former is, according to Norman Sword, "a source code rewrite from the first byte to the last", and the latter features "a rewritten game engine". So I have decided that both of these games belong in the "Other game engines" section rather than "Versions of the original Manic Miner" (which lists versions and minor variants using the original game engine).

I have also added "Manic 40 Miner" to that section. Detailed info (and possibly some ensuing discussion) about it is here.

EDIT: An error spotted by Ian has been corrected.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2021 at 4:16 AM, jetsetdanny said:

I have moved Norman Sword's version of "Manic Miner" and Paradigm Shifter's "Manic Miner Turbo" from "Versions of the original Manic Miner" to section "B. The original Jet Set Willy recreated/modified/extended using other game engines" of the "Other game engines" section. The reason for this is that the former is, according to Norman Sword, "a source code rewrite from the first byte to the last", and the latter features "a rewritten game engine". So I have decided that both of these games belong in the "Other game engines" section rather than "Versions of the original Manic Miner" (which lists versions and minor variants using the original game engine).

Danny, did you not mean to say there that you had moved those (MM-themed) games to Section A of the 'Other game engines' section?  Section B is for JSW-themed games with a new engine?

Today the pages of We Pretty and Jet Set Mini have been modified to include embedded videos from the JSW Central YouTube channel.

A screenshot gallery has also been added to the page of We Pretty.

Manic Mulholland has been added to the list of Games of MM and JSW interest.

Chronology has been updated.

Please let me know if you should notice that anything is missing from this Chronology update (or its earlier content).

I would like to note that I have changed the information on the We Pretty page. It used to state that all 64 rooms need to be visited in order to complete the game. However, when I was working on the screenshot gallery, I noticed, with some surprise, that I had completed the game in my RZX walkthrough without visiting the room "T HE         HOL  LOW     M O O N" (25). So I adjusted the information on JSW Central accordingly.

• 1 month later...

Today's update of JSW Central includes the following elements:

The titles of Adam Britton's games have been changed from The Continuing Adventures, The Deadly Mission and Willy's Holiday to Jet Set Willy: The Continuing Adventures, Jet Set Willy: The Deadly Mission and Jet Set Willy: Willy's Holiday, respectively.

The individual pages of these three games:

Jet Set Willy: The Continuing Adventures

Jet Set Willy: The Deadly Mission

Jet Set Willy: Willy's Holiday

have been overhauled to include information about their history and completability, download option of bug-free versions of these games converted to tape format, screenshot galleries and embedded videos from the JSW Central YouTube channel.

Manic Miner: Trick or Treat? and Manic Miner - The Two Chance Challenge have been added to the list of Versions and minor mods of the original MM, along with individual pages.

A 2021 Manic Miner hack by CHIXUS has been added to the Various minor hacks page.

Chronology has been updated.

• 3 weeks later...

Less than two hours before the end of the year (local time), I have updated the Chronology section on JSW Central so that it should be entirely up to date now. Please let me know if you notice that something is missing or if you see the need for any other corrections.

I am looking forward to what 2022 will bring to the MM/JSW scene! 🙂