Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Truncated Posts

IRF

I've been through this topic:

Results:

Post dated 9th March by Korzy_iz_Adb has no content in the backup other than a broken quote liking a previous post. I've removed this 'dead post'

Post dated 15th March by jetsetdanny that also had no content has been restored, it now contains a quote and the post content itself. 🙂

Post dated 16th March by IRF was similar to the previous, in that it had no content but the old backup data contained some information,  I was also able to restore the quoted text and the post content for this one too. 🙂

Post dated 24th March with no content other than a quoted "like" was removed.

Post dated 26th March with no content other than a quoted "like" was removed.

Post dated 26th March with an empty quote box with no source link (external quote perhaps) was removed.

4 hours ago, IRF said:

Thanks, Andy!  However, as you point out, Danny's post dated 15th March 2020 contains a quote from an earlier post in the thread.  But that quote doesn't appear in any of the earlier posts in the thread!  Which suggests that something is still missing! 😮

I think he was possibly quoting the 'dead' empty post I removed from Korzy_iz_Adb , only explaination that I can logically think of. Its quite difficult to do this as there's a choice of backup data so I used a different set to do this compared to the Download topic/descriptor I did the other day. In this case I used a backup taken 30th Apr 2020, which was the nearest that would include all the topic.

There was an edit by line on the post I removed too, from the author which suggested they had either edited out the content (unlikely as this would not effect the quoted data in the previous version)  at that time, as the software concerned the "quote" belongs to the new post author not the author of the quote, if that makes sense as its in their post. 🙂

Regarding internetarchive/wayback , I've never excluded archive.org search bot from the site at all so its possible it may be there if it was at all. I did consider the database charset conversion at one point (switched to UTF8) however that won't eat data, if anything it fixes odd issues where symbols appear instead of the correct characters, this is more a case where the writer is using perhaps a non-English/EU charset.

Furthermore, I've noticed another five or six missing or truncated posts in that thread alone (other than the ones I mentioned above, and the ones that Andy listed.)

Probably too many to mention them all, but this one in particular might be worth rescuing if possible, as it seems to be the one in which Fabian might give a detailed explanation about his new game? (i.e. the background to the game, etc):

I dread to think how many more posts might have been affected across the whole website...

Edited by IRF