Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

The Annual JSW&MM Day Out - Play Expo, 2021 !

MtM

Calling all forum members!

I know I am far from the most prominent member of these hallowed forums. However, I hope no-one will mind

if I make the following suggestion:-

https://www.playexpoblackpool.com/

The suggestion is that we all meet up at the above show, on Sat 23rd and / or (xor?) Sun 24th of October, 2021.

I think that quite a few of us live in the North of England, so getting to and from Blackpool is not so hard hopefully.

I have a decent sized car, and would be happy if there was interest or need to pick people up etc. given

enough forward planning. I appreciate some folk live in other countries, but hopefully they could get there

if they were allowed - what would we be without our brothers and sisters from around the world, united

as we are in our love of JSW&MM?

All this of course is subject to the pandemic, and the event itself could well be cancelled. However, there

is pay on the door, so no one needs to commit to buying a ticket even. Tickets are £18 for an adult on

either Sat or Sun. Please look at the website for more info.

If there is no interest, then fair enough. I am not suggesting having a stand etc., but _perhaps_ /maybe we could have

t shirts made at least and the likes of Spider, IRF, JSDanny, Norman Sword & Dr Broad, RIchard H & Geoff could all

do autographs or the like 😉 Maybe even a pop up stand with speedruns being done by top folk like RBricks

and Crem demoing AI finishing JSW. Just a few ideas. It need cost next to nothing, especially if we brought

our own gear. I personally would like to see Norman writing a new MM from scratch in a few hours whilst cheered

on by event goers! Maybe even _the_ great one, he whose name must not be said out loud, M Smith, might be there?

Anyway, just a suggestion to see what people think, it could be fun - or not! Apologies if this has already been

discussed amongst the forum elders 😉

MtM.

MtM, thank you for the suggestion! I think it's an excellent one, and I would love to join you there, but, alas, I'm based in Washington, DC right now. I won't be able to travel to Play EXPO this time* 😯

*I *did* fly to Manchester just for the weekend back in 2019, for the Play EXPO when JSW's 35th birthday was celebrated, with the divine presence of Matthew Smith and the UK premiere of the film "WILLY: 48K About A Legend". I was wearing a custom-made T-shirt, too, with Willy's figure and the address of jswcentral.org on it. The thread about it is here. It was a great experience for me, meeting Matthew Smith and Richard Hallas and Daren Pearcy of the RZX Archive, and some other members of the scene 🙂 .

In any case, I should be back in Europe next year or perhaps in two years' time, so then it will be much easier for me to travel to Britain for events such as this, and I'll definitely do it, circumstances permitting 🙂 .

Apologies JSDanny, didn't know you lived in North America currently. Travelling is not so easy for anyone at the moment.

Thank you for the thread you highlight, I have read it. It is really good it was such a positive experience for you going to the

Play Expo in 2019 - hopefully it would be the same for anyone on here who will go in 2021.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd not be too worried at this stage. The thoughts of it are hugely appreciated.😊 🙂

If you wanted me to take a "wild guess" aside from it being a few months away in normal times perhaps peeps would plan ahead but with the constantly*** changing Covid situation it has thrown things into a bit of disarray perhaps...

*** 10 LET POLICY = RND

20 IF WEEK = NEW THEN GOTO 10 ELSE PRINT "No change yet!" : GOTO 20

23 hours ago, geoff said:

I love the thought of me signing autographs!!! Unfortunately, at present and for the foreseeable future I am unable to travel due to long-term illness, but I'm happy for a live-size cardboard cutout of me to be there in my place.

Its not that different to me to be honest, minus the cardboard cutout thought! 🙂

• 1 month later...