Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

JSW with scrolling

CPL

On 10/8/2021 at 7:13 PM, jetsetdanny said:

Variants V and W of John Elliott's JSW64 do exactly that 🙂 . From JSW you enter the MM caverns and have to go through all of them before exiting back to the JSW game map.

I must download these games! Thank you Danny. I had heard of them but there are _so_ many mods etc. and so little time to play them all. Could I be extremely

lazy and ask you provide a link to the one you think is best or biggest please? Bear in mind I like easier maps for exploring over rock hard room design 😉

Thanks again!

45 minutes ago, MtM said:

Could I be extremely lazy and ask you provide a link to the one you think is best or biggest please? Bear in mind I like easier maps for exploring over rock hard room design 😉

MtM,

TTBOMK, the two biggest JSW games for the ZX Spectrum out there are:

- Sendy (Alex Cornhill)'s "where's woody?". It was the first JSW game ever to feature 256 edited rooms (although the player does not have to visit all of them to complete the game). It's a great, very diverse game (as all Sendy's games are), not extremely difficult, very nice to explore. I think you would really enjoy roaming around it.

- "Jet Set Willy: The 2010 Megamix" (which I created using 48 rooms designed by Paul Equinox Collins, from his unfinished "JSW '96 Remix", and lots of other material by other authors - some general credits are on JSW Central and the detailed credits are in the text file) also has 256 edited rooms. If you have a go at it, I would suggest that you play the Easy Version, because the Hard Version, in addition to some relatively easy parts, has some forbiddingly-difficult rooms and is probably very frustrating to play (meaning to be a serious challenge to players dedicated to solving such challenges at the expense of their time and mental balance 🙂).

I would hate to state which games are the best, as I aim to treasure them all and treat them all equally and promote them all on JSW Central.

The only "half-diplomatic" way out of this for me would be to state that the ones that I created or co-created are obviously the best 😀 LOL. The ones which feature most rooms that I actually designed, in addition to "The Megamix" I've already mentioned, are:

- Willy's New Mansion (if you have a go at it, please play the Special Edition, as it's way more advanced and interesting than the original one; please do not be discouraged in the second room, where the killer blocks are flying that seem to have put some people off; once you've progressed on to the third room, it'll be much easier to explore - do save snapshots or use Rollback to assist you);

- "Jet Set Willy: Mind Control" - it's relatively big, as it has 117 edited rooms (including many excellent ones by Sendy). It's not that easy, but the official release package includes a text document called "JSW - Mind Control - The Solution", which is actually a step-by-step description of how the game can be solved;

- Willy's Hoard (a remake of "Henry's Hoard"; it does have some very difficult moments, but the special jumps it requires are described in a document called "The Quirky Spoiler", which is part of the official download package).

After this blatant self-promotion 😉, I will be happy to provide suggestions and links for other games as well if you specify further what kind of games or what features in the game you are looking for.

@jetsetdanny - No release yet I'm afraid. There are still a few things that would need to go in. Rope collision is one of the major omissions at the moment! It would also need wrapping up in a proper title screen / end screen etc. I'll try and keep you guys updated. Although, as will all side projects, it's rather on hold at the moment whilst work is busy.

• 6 months later...

Whilst this is still very much a back-burner project, I thought you guys might like to see a full mansion walk in the remake. You can see where I've had to remove rooms / add rooms. I'd like to know your thoughts. The biggest changes are to the roof and the basement (past the Forgotten Abbey) - I had to move a few rooms around for the map to work. I stole a few from Manic Miner and JSW2 as well.

I've edited a few rooms to remove frustration. For example, "Under the Drive" needed tweaking to make it possible to get through reliably.

I'm considering adding a few more objects to bring the total to an even 100. Maybe one halfway up the east wall so you *have to climb up it. I'm not sure. I want to stay faithful to the original - despite the changes I've had to make to make the game work in this way.

I personally quite like the idea of being able to access the basement from the Security Guard side to allow the player a bit more freedom in routing around the map. But that would mean changes to the Wine Cellar to let the player get back out at that end.

It's a long video - just short of 25 minutes - and that's after I edited out several minutes of me dying in the Nightmare Room and Forgotten Abbey, but I was running a test to check that all objects are collectible and that the engine is behaving as it should. There's one little control quirk left I can't seem to work out - it's *sometimes possible to walk against the conveyor. It's a weird one.

Anyway - if you're interested - enjoy! (If you're impatient watch it at 2x speed 🙂 )

https://youtu.be/2IWWvsry_sk

Edited by CPL

Now I like that.

Its not like 'Skooldaze' or BTS / CSC where it scrolls about 8 blocks at a time and when I saw the title I thought of the Amiga version which looks lovely but it did not scroll enough so unless you knew exactly where the guardians were (and even then it was difficult) it was a bit too hard.

But I see you've taken this to a sane level and I like what I see. 🙂

The jumping sound does seem a bit high pitched but that is me being picky 😄 ignore!

I've watched it all (at double speed) and gave it a like 🙂 . I liked it a lot, indeed, it looks great. The additional rooms fit in well. Once your project is complete, I might ask for permission to create a Spectrum version of your version to add to the existing variants of the original "JSW".

I understand there is no toilet run at the moment. Are you planning on adding it?

All in all, a great job! 👍

Meant to add a few more details, as I was able to watch this earlier in full and properly digest what I saw.

The effect of colour transition where the rooms have a different "paper" colour is very nice as is the effect of the room name change too. I think you should go with 100 items as you mentioned.

I did wonder as you have included a couple of JSW2 rooms perhaps above Esmerelda a Belfry as per JSW2 (and one of our project games here too) 🙂 Only if you want another room! That does fix something that I still think was left in by accident, the 'teleport to Ballroom'

Talking of teleports, invalid exits such as top of Watch Tower, have you prevented these ? I think my quick fix was to lower the conveyor one row down to Willy could not jump out the top of the screen. Just a thought, feel free to ignore! 😄

Regarding Forgotten Abbey / Wine Cellar , the easy way to 'fix' this would be to allow left exit from Wine Cellar to Tool Shed but put the exit path a bit above the floor so you can only get 'out of' Wine Cellar not back in ? That way you've got an easy way out without going under Security Guard if you want, also means the player has to transverse the slightly tricky Tool Shed in payment for an easy escape!

I've added one other new feature I've been meaning to add for a while - 'Viewpoints'. I always liked the 'zoom out' I had in the preview videos I made, and wanted a way to implement it as a feature rather than as a player controlled thing. So, I've put in a few flashing Ore Refinery eyes around the map - if you stand still on them for a view seconds, you get a nice view of a section of the map. Gives a reason to climb up on the watch tower too.

Lots of good ideas there Spider. I'll look into the jumping pitch 🙂

Because the game now scrolls, there are no 'exits' per se - so no, there's no teleporting anywhere.