Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

R.I.P Daren

Spider

Horrible, shocking news...

I was in touch with Daren by e-mail over the years, sending him mainly my RZX recordings of Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy games. Then I met him in person at Manchester PLAY Expo on 4th May 2019. He actually spotted me (wearing a JSW Central T-shirt) and said hello right at the very entrance, and we spent a good part of the day walking around the Expo together. We also grabbed some lunch outside. I met his wife and his daughter, too. They were extremely nice folks and I did hope to see them again one day.

Daren will be greatly missed, and what a shame it is that he will not be updating the RZX Archive any more! The Archive has been a fantastic resource, truly one of the cornerstones of the ZX Spectrum community. There is news that it will be preserved, though it will never be the same without Daren...

Below is a photo of us at the Manchester PLAY Expo. Daren is the guy on the right. What a happy day it was for me!

At_Manchester_PLAY_Expo.jpg

I'd never met him nor spoken "in person" as such ie: phone however I'd had over the years a couple of random email chats with him, and he was always a decent chap in his replies and would also give me a few hints about some of the adventure .rzx's I submitted too, such as allowing sufficient time on each room to read the descriptor, (as I am a fast reader) , all in all 100% helpful in every way.

He was on my small "list of Speccy people to meet at some point" too. 😞

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

From Spectrum Computing:

Einar Saukas

The entire content of RZX Archive was preserved in ZXDB, and Daren was credited at the ZXDB official page accordingly.

Daren himself always kept ZXDB updated with all RZX links. His latest changes at RZX Archive were already included in current version of ZXDB.

We didn't store the RZX files directly in our archive, but I'm currently working to add files too (besides keeping all links to RZX Archive site). This way, even if his site goes offline, none of his work will be lost.

Moreover we are now accepting RZX contributions directly in ZXDB, so we will carry on his work.

pavero

Temporary solution, if you have new / unpublished RZX files you can upload them here.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/zxdb/add/public/new_rzx.php

Sorry quotes are a bit broken, incompatible parsing formats between here and there.