Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Manic Jet Set Willy.

Norman Sword

Soon I will show the combined game of Jet set Willy and Manic Miner running in the same 48k. This was not an easy challange, the games are different enough to cause problems with data compaction. The various paths I took mostly ended with a versions that crashed. One path which looked promising had unknown to me a major flaw, which when it was discovered. Needed me to backtrack two complete versions to remove the flaw. So interesting to write - but a lot more effort than I wanted to undertake.

Whilst I have  the game running and can play jsw or Manic Miner It is the program flow that I am changing. So it will play both, but slightly different, I plan on changing the overall design and purpose.  (not a great deal)

The program has to pass my own criteria of completed, so it could be days or weeks.

So watch this space... 

Completed - but I will wait till Decmber 1st 2021 to release version 1. 

The game has all the rooms of jsw and all the graphics and sprites of jsw.

The game has all the rooms and all the graphics and room sprites of Manic Miner, plus the usual kong/lightbeam skylabs and portal graphics.

Even includes the final Barrier Graphics

The are around 166 items to collect, and around 190 guardians paths defined.

Runs very fast so the music is extended in note length to slow it down slightly.

-Some thing had to go , So this will not include the piano graphics and Manic Miner tune, or the full manic miner title screen.

Manic Jet Set Willy.

Here the reality of owning his huge mansion has started to eat into Willies ready cash. Maria has asked for a rise and refuses to do extra work after one of the biggest parties that willy has had. So Willy is tasked (again) with clearing up the mess. It looks exactly like it did after another party he gave. Bottles and items left in exactly the same place. Even the items that had to be located by others, because they seemed to be invisible are back again. The clear up needs to be done again, with the overheads of his mansion slowly eating into his ready cash. As luck has it finding an item brings its own reward. When the tidy up has been completed and Willy has made his usual bee line to the toilet, the world begins to spin....

Flashing giant caterpillars...

Back in the world that made him all his monies. He now has the opportunity to build up his cash so he can retire, and give Maria a rise. Meanwhile the mansion he owns is still draining his monies, but at least the rewards for picking up items are now greatly increased. Even knocking Kong off his perch is worth the effort. 

The biggest danger is having any kind of accident. Willy is getting on, and the cost of hospitalisation is not as cheap as it used to be. You need to keep the ready cash above zero. A failure will end the game...

Don't forget to take your bucket and spade, and visit the beach, for the sand which is there.

------------------------------------------------------

This was written to show it could be done. I can not see many people managing to complete this version. 

Change of version to v 1.01 - The change is so that you can play either half of MJSW

Press enter to play MJSW. (80 rooms/caverns)

Press"M" while the title music is playing and it will allow the Manic Miner rooms to be played (20 caverns). Because of the shortcut (cutting out the 60 JSW rooms) the game is not completed when the 20 Manic Miner caverns are finished.

To finish you need to play the FULL 80 rooms/caverns.

mjsw v1-00.png

This version v1-01 was downloaded seven times. A more current version is listed in a later post.

Edited by Norman Sword
deletion of old version v1.01

Thanks, Norman Sword, this sounds very impressive and I am looking forward to playing this game!

I have just downloaded it, but it may be a few days before I have a serious go at it. I would like to complete my "processing" of Adam Britton's early games first, something I have been at for the last few weeks (I still need to take screenshots of most rooms and update the corresponding JSW Central pages). Playing "Manic Jet Set Willy" will be next on my plate, or perhaps I'll intersperse both activities.

In any case, time is scarce for me at the moment so it may not happen immediately. But I am looking forward very much to playing it soon! 🙂 

Norman - you are a _genius!_ Thank you!

I have downloaded it and had a quick go. I really like in the demo mode that as the screens show, Willy changes

appearance depending on the screen on display.

I am considering making this the game I play over Christmas now, it will be a good challenge, but maybe it is time

I actually got around to finishing a version of JSW the first original.

Thank you again for this Norman, just mega this effort, the Spectrum world is very lucky to have people like you still programming for it.

The data in the Manic Miner disassemblies (skoolkit) doesn't layout the data in an easy to extract way. Remember I was extracting the data, changing  it into a format that JSW could use. 

So yesterday I re assessed the data by going through the disassembled source code to extract more information. The part I looked at, concerned the start state of sprites in the Manic Miner data. That has allowed me to re-format the data I had and add more information. That information has now been incorperated into MJSW's sorce code's file, and updates the paths of the sprites in the Manic Miner part of the game.

No idea if that is wanted or not. If the update is wanted, then I can also add a slight change in the game ending. Might also change the key that allows the MM screens to be played. That is change the "M" to a key in the group "HJKL" - the reason being - it will stop the initial jump.

Since I have recompacted some data, I now have extra memory to extend the "game over" or add graphics......  

Edited by Norman Sword
Clarification.

6 hours ago, Norman Sword said:

No idea if that is wanted or not.

Yes, please, let us have it!

I am now close to finishing "processing" Adam Britton's old games, and right after I'm done I would be delighted to play "Manic Jet Set Willy". I could go straight for the newest version if you release it within the next day or two 🙂 .

A mad couple of hours, changing the sequence of a lot of data, and adding more routines. The code I wrote was just added without much stream lining, so I hope it works.  

The visible changes  and keyboard key change.

The option of playing Manic Miner has been moved from the keyboard "M" key to the keyboard group "HJKL" - the reason for the key change was to stop the initial jump on entering the Central Cavern, when playing the shorter version.

There is a change in animation at the completion of JSW, and also a bonus is also given on completion of JSW part of the game. 

The pause sequence now will display the current Highest score. Going back to the game will delete the highest score from the screen. The reason it is deleted, is because it over complicates the screen visuals. If you MUST see the highest score, then press one of the pause keys.

The boot sequence will also display the highest score.

The changes in the start position for Manic Miner - should make it more like the original Manic Miner. However I did re-write the Solar beam/eugene/skylabs and the Kong routines, so they could be slightly different. There might also be a difference in the JSW sprite routines and the equivalent Manic Miner sprite routines for movement. The game now has only JSW style movement routines.

The Solar beam on contact will zap air and also takes money from your cash.

The rewards for the full game completion are in the $MILLIONS. 

This version v1.02 was down loaded 9 times

deleted as obsolete

Edited by Norman Sword
SpeLKing and GromMer