Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

The Christmas 2021 Thread ;-)

MtM

A bit out of my area. Are you able to temporarily use another 'retro' display for this ?

I'm assuming the monitor you have obtained now via Santa was a PC VGA/SVGA type, rather than a legacy RGB one. The scan rates are quite different between the two, its even worse if you go back to ancient PC's aka pre 086's etc when you needed a different type of monitor again (iirc)

In regard to this post containing the Music and Carols .tzx files, what is not that obvious is that there are two pages of music. Pressing space will switch between each screen. The point here being, it does include "if I Were A Rich Man" in AY, of which an audio file is attached here, converted from a large 24mb .wav produced via Spectaculator's audio output to a sanely sized 2.5mb .mp3:

rm.mp3

On 12/26/2021 at 9:54 PM, MtM said:

Any ideas from anyone greatly appreciated!

Did post a few thoughts but I don't on reflection think they would help. hmm.

Did find this buried however, and it is sort of "on topic" with your monitor issue, its still relevant today although these modern times it is much more likely to be 1920x1200 or (if one can stretch a few more ££ to it) 3840x1600 🤣

res.jpg

On 12/31/2021 at 6:06 PM, Spider said:

In regard to this post containing the Music and Carols .tzx files, what is not that obvious is that there are two pages of music. Pressing space will switch between each screen. The point here being, it does include "if I Were A Rich Man" in AY, of which an audio file is attached here, converted from a large 24mb .wav produced via Spectaculator's audio output to a sanely sized 2.5mb .mp3:

rm.mp3 2.23 MB · 9 downloads

I never got the carols working, but I did hear the 'If I were a rich man' which I always like to hear.

Edited by MtM

• 9 months later...

Hello All,

Given the time of year thought it might be time to dust this thread off, as Christmas is clearly approaching - I have seen it in the supermarkets!

How about some Christmas style demos and music being posted again? I can only apologise for my lack of ability in creating such materials but I know there are uber talented folks on here who can do it!

It is still my plan one day when I have time to do an MM mod, called Manic Christmas, with 20 Christmas themed rooms etc and a suitable story to accompany it, but it will have to wait until I retire I expect 😉

On 11/3/2022 at 7:36 PM, MtM said:

Given the time of year thought it might be time to dust this thread off, as Christmas is clearly approaching - I have seen it in the supermarkets!

Local B+M have had a Christmas Isle for a good month I think! 😮

How about some Christmas style demos and music being posted again? I can only apologise for my lack of ability in creating such materials but I know there are uber talented folks on here who can do it!

I'm afraid I only have the few tunes from last year still 😞 They are higher up in this topic but I can repost them. I did fix one damaged .tzx if I recall correctly.

It is still my plan one day when I have time to do an MM mod, called Manic Christmas, with 20 Christmas themed rooms etc and a suitable story to accompany it, but it will have to wait until I retire I expect 😉

Now that is an excellent idea. Perhaps it is something you could start to do before "that time" allowing you to develop ideas and thoughts/designs ?

9 hours ago, SymbolShift said:

Speaking of Christmas... My favourite room in MM (from a visual perspective) has always been "The Endorian Forest". Many will disagree, but the hanging fruit items (or whatever they are) always reminded me of Christmas baubles.

Now what would be good , have those colour cycle like objects (but still deadly on contact) perhaps have them alternate between red/green/yellow or something ? Two colours might be easier.