Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Manic Miner (ROM)

Spider

There was a slightly cut down version of this on a Brazilian ZX forum a few years back but I never really paid much attention to it due to both having to register to download it and a huge page or two of instructions on building it.

Someone has taken this idea and expanded on it.

Note it will NOT run on a 16K machine! The code is more or less where it should be for the Bug-Byte version, although the caverns and sprites are this variant, the title screen uses the later release with the fixed windscreen frame.

Some quite aggressive compression was needed to get it into 16K, it "loads" at #0000 then expands out into the correct place but the menu options sit in what was the 'rom' area.

For reference the Mastertronic re-release (not mentioned and not specific to this) is the Software Projects version and the Ventamatic release is also the Software Projects one with some language tweaks.

From the 'readme'

Game improvements
1) Includes Spanish language option (from Ventamatic release)
2) Turbo mode - game plays faster!
3) Customise game from a selection of 9 built-in POKEs
4) Supports Sinclair, Fuller and Timex joysticks

I think "Jimmy" on Spectrum Computing forums built this ROM itself. The full topic on there is here and Paul's site of game conversions is here

Manic Miner ROM.zip

Use: Read the readme first!

Then try to drag the .rom file into the emulator window. Depending on what you're using this may or may not work. If not you can either choose via the emulators options to load a binary file and have it load/execute at #0000 or change the options to use a custom ROM and select this one instead.

Alternatively, you could burn an eprom with this and either place into your Interface 2 or RamTurbo interface, or mod your speccy (tiny mod needed) and replace the Sinclair rom with this one 😉

Couple of pics from the "menu" , this runs in the lower memory area < 16384 / < #4000h

mmr1.png mmr2.png

mmr3.png

EDIT... Quick .rzx of this being completed, keyboard control, Turbo mode  Spanish Language and using the following cheats:

Fall any height

One object only

Harmless fire cells

Turbo Mode (uses LDI to do this, sits in 'rom' space)

MM_Rom.rzx

May have issues playing it back , recorded in Specuatulator. Only one rollback and I left an accidental life loss 'as it was'

13 hours ago, JianYang said:

Both. The .rzx wouldn't work without the ROM. Maybe that's what you forgot?

Thanks. 😄 

I think I did try that but in Spectaculator and Spin, I'll try again. Its not a good gameplay and the game is as you'd expect identical. 🙂 Was really just a "for the sake of it while I am here..." thing.

12 hours ago, JianYang said:

No matter what the settings are the conveyor poke appears to always be on. Is that a bug in the ROM or in FUSE?

Its a bug in the ROM itself it seems. The code for controlling Miner Willy on the conveyor is slightly different to standard, an AND/OR is missing with it set to INC BC however it does make a call into the lower (what was rom) code too. I've not looked into a fix for this yet, just had a cursory glance.

I was hoping the toggle was the wrong way around and enabling "no conveyors" would restore it but alas no.

Well spotted! 🙂