Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Christmas card from long ago

Norman Sword

At present I am dumping tons and tons of magazines, disc,tapes, games. Most have already gone. Today I uncovered this. Nearly went in a skip.

The doodle was by my daughter some time in the very distant past. At least she drew on the back

inside.jpg

back.jpg

ionised.jpg

Edited by Norman Sword
Drew

That's a nice piece of memorabilia to keep I think.

I am about 90% sure I've seen that card design / artwork before, possibly in Sinclair Programs (a good magazine at the time but a bit late really unfortunately) as the 'cartoon styling' does quite closely match their score charts one, at least in the remnants of one issue I still have.

I keep thinking I may of seen this also in competitions but I think that may of not been a seasonal card.

Regardless, its a nice item. 🙂

Thank you. 🙂

The Tynesoft branded variants (for the Acorn platforms) share the same cassette inlay design too. For a moment I though they were different but I'm mistaken having looked at one now.

Now I look more closely I can see you're 100% right with the boot design, no need to look further.

EDIT... My "avatar" on here is what I found for the Electron version of JSW2 floppy disc, although the BBC version did not feature this at all and I'm still not 100% sure if it was not a 'home user' who made said logo , similar to how now there are several absolutely excellent loading screens for Manic Miner for the Spectrum.

On 8/2/2022 at 12:01 AM, Norman Sword said:

At present I am dumping tons and tons of magazines, disc,tapes, games. Most have already gone. Today I uncovered this. Nearly went in a skip.

The doodle was by my daughter some time in the very distant past. At least she drew on the back

inside.jpg

back.jpg

ionised.jpg

Norman I dread to think what other material went into the skip!

But thanks for that, it's great computer game artwork, unlike the cgi stuff of today.

I notice something like Thomas the Tank Engine in the bottom left corner, was that symbolic of something? I don't remember SP having the licence to do the game?

The artist does have a highly recognisable style.

5 hours ago, Norman Sword said:

The Thomas the tank engine graphic is from the Perils of Willy. Which at that time was a VIc 20 only game

The 2nd picture shows about a 1/3 of what I disposed off (in magazines alone)- there are six stacks of magazines in this photo. 

The Perils of Willy.jpgDSCF0459.thumb.JPG.684a133f67048963e705d22c724b10fe.JPG

My goodness, what hidden treasures are among that lot! We had a good clear out during the first lockdown but I have kept my

old computer mags, well my single remaining issue of Crash and my Zzaps.

But I understand, eventually it seems like that stuff is dragging you down a bit.

Do you have a motorbike Norman? Just the cover that is over the magazines, looks like a motorbike cover. Could be a

car cover I guess.

Thanks for clearing up the Perils of Willy image, I had seen that inlay before but just never put it together with the

image of the old SP card.

He was/is a talented guy Roger, is he still with us or doing anything computer related do you know?