Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

AmAZiNG WiLLY

I am thrilled to announce the release of a new Jet Set Willy game: “AmAZiNG WiLLY”, created by Carl Paterson (CnP Projectz). The game features:

- 59 completely redesigned rooms;

- A fairly familiar map layout, which will nevertheless surprise you with brand-new, atmospheric screens and many exciting challenges;

- New and modified guardian sprites;

- 256 items to collect (yes, they can all be collected without losing a single life! - but it's not easy...);

- A moderate level of difficulty, which won’t put off a novice and won’t bore an expert either (lots and lots of running around and jumping is required to complete the game; oftentimes you’d really better think before you jump!);

- A richness of music incomparable to any previous release: a brand-new title-screen tune and more than a dozen in-game tunes, most of them 128-byte-long (twice as long as the original one) and most of them never heard before in a JSW game;

- A custom-made title screen, custom font and other enhancements;

- A toilet run like you’ve never seen before!

The ZIP file available for download includes the game in TAP and TZX format, the Readme and info about the game's credits.

Grab it, enjoy and please share your impressions!

• 3 months later...

It is my great pleasure to announce, on behalf of Carl Paterson, the release of Version 3 of his game "AmAZiNG WiLLY".

[The first gamma-released version of the game, back in October 2022, was v. 2; v. 1 had been an unreleased development file.]

This new version:

A. Game enhancements

- offers the player some well-loved (and well-known 😉) music to relax after all lives have been lost;

- has an additional surprise for the player after the game has been completed (play and finish the game to experience it! 😉);

- features extended (128-byte-long instead of 64) versions of two of the (otherwise numerous) in-game tunes;

- features a couple of new guardians with a new sprite;

B. Increased player-friendliness

- eliminates the loss of life which would happen in v. 2 if the player collected the leftmost item in "Master WiLLyZz BeDCHaMBeR" as the very last one;

- allows the player to jump safely through the Innocent-Looking Block in "ThE MuTaNT DiLDoZz FRoM MaRZz".

If you haven't played or completed the game yet, you are strongly advised to play v. 3 to experience these enhanced features. The game can be completed without losing a single life.

Please download, enjoy and share your feedback! 🙂 

And don't take too long, because Carl's second JSW game is scheduled to be released before this (northern hemisphere's) winter is over... 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

I will announce it here, as I don't want to create a new topic until it actually happens.

Carl Paterson's second JSW game will be released tomorrow! It features over 60 newly-designed rooms and tons of new music. Please set some time aside this weekend to enjoy this brand-new JSW universe... or should I say mirrorverse??? 😁

• 1 month later...

I have finally got around to playing this a bit more properly on my Mac. It is a stellar work! And also features a room that if I am

understanding it correctly, has a bit of a rude twist to it, which I think is the first time I remember that in a JSW game, although

I am likely forgetting some kind of innuendo somewhere in some version 🙂 I have counted at least 5 new tunes in the game

going from screen to screen, I am sure there are a load more in there, I don't think I know of any other version with so many

in game tunes but I am sure that Danny will correct me on that. I can only marvel at the work that has gone into this, a real

labour of love for no reward at all except the gratitude of JSW fans everywhere and the kudos of creating such a fantastic

new game. Just amazing that new features are still being added to JSW. It would be good if there are any Spectrum or Retro

shows coming up this and Mirrorverse would be great demos to have on. All those involved, take a bow!

Thank you for your kind words, Mtm! 🙂 As in the case of "WiLLY iN ThE MiRRoRVeRSE", the credit and praise go first and foremost to Carl Paterson, the creator of this excellent game!

5 hours ago, MtM said:

I have counted at least 5 new tunes in the game

going from screen to screen, I am sure there are a load more in there, I don't think I know of any other version with so many

in game tunes but I am sure that Danny will correct me on that.

This statement, concerning "AmAZiNG WiLLY", does not need correction, unless you also include "WiLLY iN ThE MiRRoRVeRSE" in your comparison - if so, the latter has even more musical variety than the former.

Let me elaborate.

At the time of its release, "AmAZiNG WiLLY" (v. 2, which was the first version released) was the most music-intense JSW game for the Spectrum ever released. As of v. 3 (which expands a little bit in this compartment in relation to v. 2), "AW" features a brand-new title screen tune, 12 in-game tunes which are 128-byte-long, one... erm... let's call it "special in-game tune" which is also 128 bytes long plus 3 in-game tunes which are 64 bytes long. Byte-wise, that would be an equivalent of 29 standard 64-byte-long in-game tunes (!). Additionally, as of v. 3 the game also includes the Moonlight Sonata (the original title-screen tune from "JSW", of course) used as an additional 'after-Game Over tune'.

Among these tunes, most were coded for a JSW game for the very first time. The exceptions are: the original tunes from "Manic Miner" and "Jet Set Willy" - however, both of them are featured in extended 128-byte (rather than 64-byte) versions, with a modified second part, and "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini", which was the first tune I ever coded - I used it in "Madam Blavskja's Carnival Macabre 48K Edition", but in a 64-byte version only. "AW" features an improved 128-byte-long version.

All of the remaining tunes, i.e. 9 128-byte-long tunes and 3 64-byte-long tunes have not ever been used in any Spectrum JSW game before. Furthermore, there are some tricks like featuring some of the tunes playing at different speeds, or a 128-byte-long tune in one room playing only its first part (64-bytes-long). These are things that I believe have not been applied in any JSW game before.

"WiLLY iN ThE MiRRoRVeRSE" takes this musical variety even further. It features a brand-new title-screen tune, 13 brand-new 128-byte-long in-game tunes which have been coded specially for it (TTBOMK they have not been used in any JSW game before. To be exact, two of them share 64 bytes between them, so you could probably say the game features 12.5 brand new 128-byte-long in-game tunes 😉), one... erm... "special in-game tune" which is also 128-byte long and unused before, two brand-new 64-byte-long in-game tunes coded specially for this game and unused before, and one 128-byte long in-game tune which has also been coded specially for this game, but has been used before, in a shorter, 64-byte-long version and coded in a different key (by Andrew Broad in "Goodnite Luddite").

It should be mentioned that Richard Hallas's document "A Miner Triad. Music in Jet-Set Willy and both versions of Manic Miner" was instrumental (pun intended) in managing and coding the music for both games (and various other projects). Furthermore, Richard's 1985 classic "Join the Jet-Set!" offered the player a choice of ten in-game tunes. However, the chosen tune is POKEd into memory before the game starts, so effectively there is only one in-game tune every time you play and it can only be changed by reloading the game and choosing a different tune.

Moreover, information provided by Ian Rushforth (IRF) was essential for the modification of the length and speed of the in-game tunes.