Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Sinclair QL Keyboard

SymbolShift

I've always been a huge fan of the "QL style" keyboard, originally featured on the Sinclair QL, then the ZX Spectrum+, and finally the ZX Spectrum 128. Much nicer than those later Amstrad (+2, +3) offerings.

I've always credited this great design to Sinclair... however! I recently came across a copy of Personal Computer News magazine from May 1983. The cover features a keyboard that is strikingly similar in design, and interestingly pre-dates the QL release by 8 months (possibly more). I am unable to locate the supplement that is featured on the cover, and it's not mentioned in the magazine itself.

Can anyone identify the make/model of computer on this cover?

Thanks.

pcn_may83.thumb.jpg.f279c38dff930cb6e76b3104c4419ad3.jpg

Sinclair_QL_Top.thumb.jpg.62aab512983c5f9eefa863dfe5e5b1bb.jpg

Edited by SymbolShift

18 hours ago, JianYang said:

If you're talking about the key caps I have definitely seen that style before the QL was a thing. In my memory it's associated with Siemens keyboards.

Thanks.

Yes, the key-caps (rather than the layout). I know the Siemens PG7xx series laptops had rounded key-caps similar to the QL, but they were produced in the 90's. It's possible that Siemens also had earlier machines (and keyboards) that were produced in the 80's.

6 hours ago, Spider said:

I think that machine may be a mockup, even if you disregard the key layout which is done for the title/cover.

It looks vaguely to me like the Oric case part with similar to QL keys, I can't recall if the Tandy TS ( ? ) had rounded keys.

True, it could be a mock-up. Obviously the key layout has been altered. For all we know, the mock-up could have been created by the Sinclair QL dev team 😁

• 4 weeks later...

I just came across the Mupid C2D. It's an Austrian built computer and pre-dates both the QL and the PCN magazine cover. Released in 1981, before even the ZX Spectrum. It used a Z80A, had 128K memory, and a super impressive palette of 4096 colours.

A very striking resemblance to the QL design. The rounded flat-top keys, black plastic, and even the horizontal lines.

They were also rebranded as Siemens machines, so JianYang was onto something!

mupid.jpg