Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Hello, new here but not new to JSW/MM

Sendy The Endless

Hi IRF, thanks for the welcome! I did indeed upload a single room Erix-1 Mode game to the old forums, with a crumbly ramp. As for the ice blocks, I've been using sticky conveyors with design considerations as per my ice blocks post, but I appreciate the mention : )

EDIT: Oh and now I think about it, changing the conveyor byte with player's movement direction is a very simple and elegant solution to the sticky problem! : )

Edited by Sendy The Endless

There could be a way round* those design considerations - by using the WRITETYPER keys to teleport into the room at a position that is a (safe) drop above one of the conveyors, Willy might end up stuck on one of them even it isn't possible to manoeuvre into such a situation within the room.

(*Done at the player's own risk - and of course they could always teleport back out again!) 

3 hours ago, Sendy The Endless said:

EDIT: Oh and now I think about it, changing the conveyor byte with player's movement direction is a very simple and elegant solution to the sticky problem! : )

If you like that, then you'll probably like the Room Setup Patch I implemented in the Swimming Pool in Jet Set Mini (where that room is known as 'Pool Party').  Upon Willy's entry to the room, his x-coordinate is inspected, and the initial swing direction of the rope is set accordingly.  This means that if he falls down from The Orangery into the left half of the Swimming Pool, the rope starts off swinging leftwards; if he falls down from the right half of The Orangery then the rope starts swinging rightwards.  Either way it catches Willy, and there is no Infinite Death Scenario (such as occurs if you drop down on the wrong side of the rope in original JSW).  In fact, in an attempt to showcase this neat little fix, I designed the layout in such as way that you have to drop down on both sides of the rope in order to be able to collect all the Orangery items safely. 😉

Edited by IRF

1 hour ago, IRF said:

If you like that, then you'll probably like the Room Setup Patch I implemented in the Swimming Pool in Jet Set Mini (where that room is known as 'Pool Party').  Upon Willy's entry to the room, his x-coordinate is inspected, and the initial swing direction of the rope is set accordingly.  This means that if he falls down from The Orangery into the left half of the Swimming Pool, the rope starts off swinging leftwards; if he falls down from the right half of The Orangery then the rope starts swinging rightwards.  Either way it catches Willy, and there is no Infinite Death Scenario (such as occurs if you drop down on the wrong side of the rope in original JSW).  In fact, in an attempt to showcase this neat little fix, I designed the layout in such as way that you have to drop down on both sides in order to be able to collect all the items safely. 😉

I've just had a look at a playthrough of it and yes, the rope swing start trick is really smart. I also noticed the "ice" conveyor. You can change directions, but never stop moving. A sort of "medium friction" form of ice : )

For complete iciness, perhaps there could be a check to see if Willy's on a 'veyor and moving, and if so, not allow the direction to change. But I also like this as an alternate type of platform. For a platform game nerd like me, you can never have too many gimmick blocks!

Some awesome effects going on in the other rooms, too. Animated items, multiple item cells per room, the opening and closing floor... I wasn't so keen on the rooms where there was a lot of extreme colour flashing, but the way the Nightmare Room goes dark when you get the last item is a masterstroke!

Speling Mistaik

27 minutes ago, Sendy The Endless said:

I've just had a look at a playthrough of it and yes, the rope swing start trick is really smart. I also noticed the "ice" conveyor. You can change directions, but never stop moving. A sort of "medium friction" form of ice : )

For complete iciness, perhaps there could be a check to see if Willy's on a 'veyor and moving, and if so, not allow the direction to change. But I also like this as an alternate type of platform. For a platform game nerd like me, you can never have too many gimmick blocks!

A 'medium friction' platform as you describe would indeed be a novelty (well, it's kind of like the JSW: Perpetual Motion mod, but only applied to a specific type of platform not the whole game). However, that isn't how that ice platform in Jet Set Mini behaves! It is essentially a non-sticky Sticky Conveyor, as discussed earlier. I think you might have mistaken all the platforms in that room for conveyors, whereas in fact there is only one in the room (the long one across the centre).

(If so, it highlights the perils of trying to figure out what is going on by watching a pre-recorded run-through, rather than playing the game yourself!) 

Edited by IRF

6 minutes ago, IRF said:

A 'medium friction' platform as you describe would indeed be a novelty (well, it's kind of like the JSW: Perpetual Motion mod, but only applied to a specific type of platform not the whole game). However, that isn't how that ice platform in Jet Set Mini behaves! It is essentially a non-sticky Sticky Conveyor, as discussed earlier. I think you might have mistaken all the platforms in that room for conveyors, whereas in fact there is only one in the room (the long one across the centre).

The perils of trying to figure out what is going on by watching a pre-recorded run-through, rather than playing the game yourself! 

I will definitely give it a go myself soon, but what I saw at 9:44 in Daniel's video here made me believe you could alter your direction on the long conveyor. Maybe it's something to do with interactions coming from the water blocks. I also like how the room goes black when you're encased in water blocks. I believe that's what's going on there. Off to play it myself now!

Just tried it myself, in at least the SE version of the camel room, the conveyor is flipping directions on a timer. Also took me a while to realize I was dying at the top of the East wall... guardians hitting an item while they're flashing white, lol. That's pretty devilish : )

Cold Store conveyor isn't the floor but the platform just below the bottom of the rope. At one point in Danny's walk through he catches the end of the rope and immediately drops off again, which interrupts his sideways motion - is that what you mean?

Camel room = Elephant room?? 

East Wall is now the West Wall in this laterally-inverted game. 😉

I don't think that's why you're dying at the top of the West Wall - there is a time limit imposed though, via a quirky feature of the game engine. So you have to pop in and out to reset the room in order to progress up to the top exit.