Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Hello, new here but not new to JSW/MM

Sendy The Endless

10 hours ago, IRF said:

If you like that, then you'll probably like the Room Setup Patch I implemented in the Swimming Pool in Jet Set Mini (where that room is known as 'Pool Party').  Upon Willy's entry to the room, his x-coordinate is inspected, and the initial swing direction of the rope is set accordingly.  This means that if he falls down from The Orangery into the left half of the Swimming Pool, the rope starts off swinging leftwards; if he falls down from the right half of The Orangery then the rope starts swinging rightwards.  Either way it catches Willy, and there is no Infinite Death Scenario (such as occurs if you drop down on the wrong side of the rope in original JSW).  In fact, in an attempt to showcase this neat little fix, I designed the layout in such as way that you have to drop down on both sides of the rope in order to be able to collect all the Orangery items safely. 😉

This should be considered one of "classic" Patch Vectors because of the way it saves the player from a Multiple Death Scenario! 👍

I think it should also be noted that the conveyor flipping directions on a timer is another classic PV - classic in that it was created by Geoff Eddy and used in (at least one of) his early games, which actually inspired the use of PVs in newer projects.

Since Sendy is relatively new here, I thought I should point out something that sometimes happens on this forum: last night I posted twice in succession in this thread, both in response to Sendy, but the two posts ended up on different pages. You may (based on your likes) have only seen the most recent one and missed the post at the bottom of page 2 of the thread? (Not that I said anything particularly crucial in that post; I just thought I'd point out this potential pitfall of posting here. 😊

5 hours ago, IRF said:

Cold Store conveyor isn't the floor but the platform just below the bottom of the rope. At one point in Danny's walk through he catches the end of the rope and immediately drops off again, which interrupts his sideways motion - is that what you mean?

Camel room = Elephant room?? 

East Wall is now the West Wall in this laterally-inverted game. 😉

I don't think that's why you're dying at the top of the West Wall - there is a time limit imposed though, via a quirky feature of the game engine. So you have to pop in and out to reset the room in order to progress up to the top exit. 

You named it the East Wall, but in my mind, I'm just viewing the whole map from the opposite side 😁 so it's still the iconic "West Wall" in my mind.

I noticed the "conveyor air" in that room, but I couldn't see a quirky feature threatening to kill Willy. Is it a new discovery?

Edited by Sendy The Endless

Just now, jetsetdanny said:

This should be considered one of "classic" Patch Vectors because of the way it saves the player from a Multiple Death Scenario! 👍

I think it should also be noted that the conveyor flipping directions on a timer is another classic PV - classic in that it was created by Geoff Eddy and used in (at least one of) his early games, which actually inspired the use of PVs in newer projects.

Is there a database of patch vectors and a tutorial on how to get rooms to, um, vector the patches? : )

With credits of course, so I can credit everyone I borrow from.

4 hours ago, Sendy The Endless said:

You named it the East Wall, but in my mind, I'm just viewing the whole map from the opposite side 😁 so it's still the iconic "West Wall" in my mind.

I noticed the "conveyor air" in that room, but I couldn't see a quirky feature threatening to kill Willy. Is it a new discovery?

Now I'm really confused! East Wall is the 'classic' name for it, and I renamed it the West Wall here!

The bird flying along at the bottom of the Priest's Hole (top room of the West Wal) slightly 'wraps around' beyond the bottom of the room. This causes it to imprint a few of its pixels permanently (well, until the room is refreshed when Willy dies or re-enters) onto one of the screen buffers - they appear along the very top of the room as the bird tracks along, but they are dark blue INK against the black PAPER background, so they're not easy to spot.

When the bird returns back to the same place after one complete traverse of its horizontal range, it collides with that 'shadow' of itself, which has the effect of killing Willy. That effectively imposes a limit on how much time you can spend in that room in one go. In order to safely navigate the room, you have to leave and re-enter a few times (which resets the bird to its starting position and clears the buffer of those errant pixels). That's why I created that exit to the Emergency Generator halfway up so you can pop out and back in again (otherwise the game would be impossible to complete!)