Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Manic Miner Redux

DigitalDuck

I found a bug - on level "Wibble Flowerpot" if you immediately jump left and keep walking, you can walk straight through the first yellow dancing flower.

I'm really interested to hear more about how you put this together - check your Mastadon - I've been messaging you - although more than happy to message here instead. Really cracking port and I particularly like the endless lives, timer and configuration options. You've really added to the replay-ability of the game. Something I'm hoping to do with Chuckie Egg.

Edited by Jamie Howard

1 hour ago, Jamie Howard said:

I found a bug - on level "Wibble Flowerpot" if you immediately jump left and keep walking, you can walk straight through the first yellow dancing flower.

I'm really interested to hear more about how you put this together - check your Mastadon - I've been messaging you - although more than happy to message here instead. Really cracking port and I particularly like the endless lives, timer and configuration options. You've really added to the replay-ability of the game. Something I'm hoping to do with Chuckie Egg.

That's not a bug - you get a temporary invincibility on starting the level in the Redux presets. It does allow you to cheese a few levels but I'm allowing them as pro strats.

I don't have a Mastodon account so I don't know who you've been messaging but hopefully they're not too bothered by it.

I'd have to have a think about how to do the same thing for Chuckie Egg - it's a lot more arcade-focused so I don't think infinite lives is the best solution. Perhaps having more of a focus on individual levels and having score/time/other targets to beat?

• 4 weeks later...

Very impressive. I've been trying to make something like this on and off for years using Love2d/Lua but I kept getting hung up on details and focus. I went from having a version with a built in level editor to attempting to translate the disassembly exactly into Lua. I even thought I could resurrect JSW Online and have multiplayer.

I did manage to recreate the attribute colour clash using shaders which is probably my most proud moment. And I could switch between that and Andy Noble's sprites while playing.

I'm going to see if I can get Redux running on my Steam Deck, the executable you posted works fine with Wine but native Linux builds would be appreciated.

6 hours ago, AukonDK said:

Very impressive. I've been trying to make something like this on and off for years using Love2d/Lua but I kept getting hung up on details and focus. I went from having a version with a built in level editor to attempting to translate the disassembly exactly into Lua. I even thought I could resurrect JSW Online and have multiplayer.

I did manage to recreate the attribute colour clash using shaders which is probably my most proud moment. And I could switch between that and Andy Noble's sprites while playing.

I'm going to see if I can get Redux running on my Steam Deck, the executable you posted works fine with Wine but native Linux builds would be appreciated.

Level editor is planned for the future but I wanted to release in stages for a similar reason - if I just tried to put everything I wanted in the game all in one go then it'd never be done.

I do have an implementation of colour clash but I decided not to include it in the end as my version allows for guardians to overlap level cells and I couldn't make that behave in a way I was happy with; it wouldn't be sustainable with potential future goals anyway.

I'll definitely get a Linux build sorted in the next week or so, I don't have access to the computer Redux is on at the moment.

Welcome to the forum, AukonDK! 🙂 

43 minutes ago, DigitalDuck said:

I wanted to release in stages for a similar reason - if I just tried to put everything I wanted in the game all in one go then it'd never be done.

That's a very wise approach 🙂 . I applied a similar one when creating JSW Central - I started off with a very basic website, and I am gradually developing it both by expanding the already existing resources (like adding walkthrough videos or screenshot galleries to individual games' pages) and by expanding the site itself (by adding new sections). The scope of interest of JSW Central is still limited to the ZX Spectrum games though (and will be in the foreseeable future, because I don't have time to go beyond Speccy).