LD    (DE),A

draw_eugene
    ld    a,(hl)

; from here #8e27 the same as the old code

; FROM HERE ---- THE OLD CODE
    and    #7f        ; as old code

end    move_eugene

Edited by Norman Sword
removing the check used to test code position.

Spider wrote

I kept thinking about the Eugune 'removal or harmless' cheats I wrote but they sort of spoil it a bit. What I could do with is something to either:

> Slow his descent down to about half its current rate

or

> If he is moving upwards when the last object is collected, do not make him move down until he's reached the top. This has both advantages and disadvantages.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the first option, if there's no sane space a quick JR out into a bit of dead area would do just fine.

My response follows with two pieces of code:-

First of the two posts was half speed Eugene on object collection. e.g. Eugene moves up and down as normal Until last object is collected then moves only downward. Eugene's speed is slowed to half its normal speed and Eugene finally stops when over the portal 

The second was ignore direction change for Eugene - E.g. Eugene moves up and down as normal until the last object is collected. From then onwards Eugene will continue moving as normal but will stop when over the portal. (this removes the forced direction change to only downward on all objects being collected) 

Edited by Norman Sword
Clarification of terminology.

Thanks Norman.

The 'quick fix' I had a few years ago was to simply make him either completely harmless (he would still make a beeline for the Portal) or have him completely ignore the fact all the objects were collected and carry on with his vertical travels, the later case he was still fatal upon contact but not 'guarding' the Portal as such.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2019 at 5:35 PM, IRF said:

POKES for JSW2-style jumping (with more dynamic turns):

POKE #840C, #03

POKE #840E, #03

POKE #8411, #02

POKE #8413, #02

Although possibly not that easy due to space concerns (?) is it possible you think to get the older 'legacy' JSW1 style of movement into JSW2 ?

As its really easy to fall off platforms in JSW2 (compared to JSW1) on the Spectrum. The Amstrad version (of 1 and 2 and MM) also have this 'fall off' issue.

I realise its down to my playing style though. I like to stand on the very edge of a platform, jump then move left or right. In JSW1 you jump as expected. In JSW2 you fall off! 😮 😄

9 hours ago, IRF said:

From memory, you have to stand one move shy of the edge before making the jump in JSW2.

Yes, sadly its a long held habit I've got from playing the ZX versions of JSW1 and MM in that I expect him to climb up. Its more a problem in JSW2 in rooms such as East Wall Base where you cannot hang about too long on the edge of a platform due to the high speed vertical guardians keen to "say hello" to M.W 😮 😄

The Amstrad CPC versions of MM , JSW1 and JSW2 all 'mirror' the ZX behaviour of JSW2 , this is why I'm not great at the CPC version of MM!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
2 hours ago, jetsetdanny said:

I'm not sure I understand your question correctly, but:

The POKE to set the starting room to Room r is 34795,r. 

POKE 33824,r is a useful runtime POKE to teleport to Room r.

I have no idea about returning to BASIC on dying. Why would you want to do that?

Thamks. That should help a lot.

I'm experimenting with guardian placements and want to find out the valid start position combinations for the overlapping sprites in Uranium Workings and Processing Plant and I got a bit tired of loading a snapsjot, poking the values, typing 6031769, selecting the room and restarting with the next values. So a FOR loop in BASIC seemed like a good idea, but MM would need to return for this to work.I have no idea about returning to BASIC on dying. Why would you want to do that?

Edit: Neither of your pokes works for me. Is there anything else needed to make them work?

Edited by JianYang