Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

[File] Manic Miner - Highscore Challenge

Spider

4 minutes ago, Spider said:

Well done! 🙂

I've updated the scoring, you're sharing first place for The Cold Room with Pgyuri 🙂

Thank you, but I feel almost a bit bad. You updated my score almost immediately while Danny's still waiting for some of his to be updated since December.

Also, I've noticed that @RuffledBricks has some really good scores here:

https://www.speedrun.com/manic_miner/run/mrk0ge7y

No #1s, but his 1973 in The Cold Room would have been a #1 in July when he recorded it.

Should we count scores achieved during regular play?

I've also slightly improved my Processing Plant score.

F-1814.png

I have shared some RZXs back in April 2019 ( https://worldofspectrum.org/forums/discussion/56010/manic-miner-highscore-challenge/p3 ), but Danny reported he couldn't play them back and once I updated Fuse I couldn't play some of them back. Anyway most of them were just copies of Danny's routes anyway. So you're probably not missing out.

edit: I just compared the routes for Endorian Forrest and the differences seem significant enough. So I'd like to retract the following statement:

As far as I've seen from your videos the only significant difference is Danny's (or not, I think it was originally discovered by Pgyuri) route through Eugene's Lair.

Edited by JianYang
Last statement probably not true

4 hours ago, JianYang said:

Thank you, but I feel almost a bit bad. You updated my score almost immediately while Danny's still waiting for some of his to be updated since December.

Also, I've noticed that @RuffledBricks has some really good scores here:

https://www.speedrun.com/manic_miner/run/mrk0ge7y

No #1s, but his 1973 in The Cold Room would have been a #1 in July when he recorded it.

Should we count scores achieved during regular play?

I've also slightly improved my Processing Plant score.

F-1814.png

Updated your new Processing Plant score, thank you. Should be noted the download 'rankings' appear immediately, the topic will update itself over a short time.

In regard to 'missing scores' , I'm sorry about that 😞 I thought I'd kept up to date but I can't always be 100% sure. Having said that I'll tag @jetsetdanny to this post and hopefully the list of "things I've missed" can be provided for me, or he could if he wished edit the download descriptor himself to reflect the new rankings.

I do greatly appreciate you bringing it to my attention @JianYang though. Please feel free to tell me if I do appear to miss anything 🙂 I say that with 100% sincerity.

4 hours ago, RuffledBricks said:

Has anyone other than @jetsetdanny shared videos of how they got these scores? Curious to know if there's any strats I've been missing from my full game speedruns.

Its generally done on a trust basis to be honest. Ideally a screenshot if not an rzx or video, do realise the former is really easy to fake however! But ultimately with this mini fun challenge "cheating is only cheating yourself" as such. However please do not be discouraged from video entries as its always good to watch others play to see if there's a new hidden technique or suchlike.

2 minutes ago, JianYang said:

I have shared some RZXs back in April 2019 ( https://worldofspectrum.org/forums/discussion/56010/manic-miner-highscore-challenge/p3 ), but Danny reported he couldn't play them back and once I updated Fuse I couldn't play some of them back. Anyway most of them were just copies of Danny's routes anyway. So you're probably not missing out.

As far as I've seen from your videos the only significant difference is Danny's (or not, I think it was originally discovered by Pgyuri) route through Eugene's Lair.

I think that's correct, I'm not immediately aware of any other ones! 🙂

5 minutes ago, Spider said:

In regard to 'missing scores' , I'm sorry about that 😞 I thought I'd kept up to date but I can't always be 100% sure

Maybe that's my fault. I'm looking at post #1 in this thread and I see a score of 1724 for Pgyuri and a score of 1721 for Danny, but Danny has reported a score of 1724 in December ( https://worldofspectrum.org/forums/discussion/56010/manic-miner-highscore-challenge/p4 )

But maybe this post is not the official high score list? Then where is it?

Sorry if I'm just confused.

Its fine. 🙂 The topic is auto generated completely by the download when you submit or edit it), this is why you should submit then later edit your submission not edit the topic details merely the download ones and its copied from the download to the topic (but not the other way around!) as if for example you edited the topic then the next day edited the file itself, the changes in the topic would be lost and overwritten. Its a one way process ie "copy download description into topic" 🙂

I hope that makes sense.

The newer software tends to cache this older data for a while, the downside is the topic shows the older information but this tends to rectify itself in a few hours. The older software would update them immediately in most cases.

From the "official point of view" as such in what is 100% up to date it is the download description page. 🙂

I have forced an update now though for this. 😄 🙂

I hope that makes sense.

Let's see. My current mental model is, that this ( http://jswmm.co.uk/files/file/108-manic-miner-highscore-challenge/ ) is the original and this ( http://jswmm.co.uk/topic/421-file-manic-miner-highscore-challenge/ ) is an automatic copy.

If that is correct, I see two problems:

1. Last night after I made 1975 in The Cold Room, I got very enthusiastic, because the current high score for that level showed as 1967. A few minutes later I noticed your post from December 27 that Pgyuri had already achieved 1975. Maybe there are some settings you can change? Two months seem quite long for an update. If not, maybe a remark in the opening post that the true up-to-date score is somewhere else might help.

2. Even on the download page some of Danny's scores are missing. Let's stick with Central Cavern: Danny's score still shows as 1721.

And just because I'm really bad at hitting the right tone: I'm not complaining. I'm just, at your own request, pointing at problems that I'm seeing. As far as I can tell you're awesome and this high score challenge is one of my favorite things in the world.

Its fine, 🙂 I do not view it as negative at all.

I hugely appreciate your thanks too. 🙂 

For clarity: The download page should -always- be accurate as near the end it has a last updated section on the lower left. This is what is actually 'edited'

The topic gets updated by the download application but the newer software does this as a task rather than immediately (as the older version did) to me this is actually a step back I think as a potential source of confusion.

So in summary if anything is wrong with the download page listings then I can update that and manually force the update to the topic too. 🙂 If i neglected the update it would update itself over a few hours anyway. I'll have to await some input regarding missing scores from@jetsetdanny