Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Some Speccy Hardware pics

Spider

Some hardware pics taken yesterday. I'll replace this line of text with a link or two later today or tomorrow.

+2A

plus2_0.jpg

plus2_psu.jpg

plus2_menu.jpg

plus2_keys_test.jpg

plus2_box.jpg

plus2_tape1.jpg

plus2_tape2.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+3

plus3_0.jpg

plus3_psu.jpg

plus3_menu.jpg

plus3_keys_test.jpg

plus3_disc_cat.jpg

plus3_tape1.jpg

plus3_tape2.jpg

48K Plus / Microdrive / Kempston

48plus_1.jpg

interface_one.jpg

kempston_interface.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Did you note the blue power led on the +2A/B ? 🙂

I did 'back then' have one of the very first grey +2's , complete with the sound slightly out of sync with the TV picture. It also featured 'quick snap' tape keys 😞 , a few months out of warranty, possible before that too. Used half a wooden clothes peg to operate , it was fine like that for the next few years. It was not be being a harsh hamfisted teenager then either 🙂

As I discovered much years later the thickness of the plastic keys where they 'wrap over' the metal support bar was slightly thicker, certainly I've not seen another one do it. That's where they snapped anyway on the 'bend' part.

Did not have any real loading issues with the grey +2 that I recall, I'd guess just a bit of good luck in that part at least. Sorry to hear you had some issues with yours. Perhaps it was just a slightly off duplicate runoff or tape itself. I do remember the original Dynamite Dan I had, the leader tones for the speedloading part were warbling a bit, I'd assumed it was normal until I tried a few other tzx's years later! So a slightly iffy original tape even a high quality one is possible I guess. Mind you, the multipage codesheet -was- really annoying on that, the colour choices too, reminded me of the Amstrad one (no surprise there)

I do have a 'one byte change only' original release, the one with the single headerless block (well its original apart from that one byte) tape file, the single and only change is to let it accept any code, avoiding any nonsense! 🙂

It was about the same time as me, I do recall as pennies had been saved for a long time and I was Speccy-less for a few months getting one from Curry's as soon as they appeared.